Fix new light with glass shade to plasterboard ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 x CFL ceiling lights on a new build flat (leasehold) but I dont like the colour temperature (4000K they provide). Looking to replace with incandescent bulbs with glass shade circa 1KG in weight. The ceiling is plasterboard - before I employ an electrician I need to understand if theres a ceiling joist they can screw into Ive heard the best way is to use a powerful magnet to search for the joists as the electronic ones are unreliable. Ive tried knocking on the ceiling but cannot hear a noticeable change in resonance. Ive also read on forums the ceiling may be 'false', be metal RSJs above or potentially concrete? Advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to turn all the power off, drop the existing light down, and poke something through the hole in the ceiling and see what's there.

Unfortunately, nowadays on new builds, folk don't fit noggins where there isn't a nearby joist.

They just use plasterboard fixings, which can be carp.

Are you nuts? magnets are only interested in things with iron content. Ceiling joists are usually made of wood, so magnets aren't the answer.
I presume the idea is that a powerful magnet might help to locate the nails or screws attaching plasterboard to the joists. However, these days they are likely to be stainless steel screws, so a magnet probably wouldn't be of much use.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

Also, making a building less satisfactory with regard to compliance with Part L is a material alteration, and therefore counts as building work within the scope of the Building Regulations. You can't just go changing lights to ones with lower efficiency.

A jobsworth local authority building inspector could invoke Part L in some circumstances where the planning consent for the building required that some or all lamps had to be "energy saving" types. In theory the inspector would be correct but in practise it would be near impossible to enforce that aspect of Part L of the building regulations.

A jobsworth local authority building inspector could invoke Part L in some circumstances where the planning consent for the building required that some or all lamps had to be "energy saving" types. In theory the inspector would be correct but in practise it would be near impossible to enforce that aspect of Part L of the building regulations.
The Building Regs Compliance Guide appears to say that one can satisfy such Part L requirements not only by having light fittings which will only take 'energy efficient' lamps, but also with "Standard fittings supplied with low energy lamps with integrated control gear (e.g. bayonet or Edison screw base compact fluorescent lamps" - in other words, potentially just an 'ordinary' lampholder or fitting. Having initially satisfied the Building Regs in that way, those regs surely do not have control over what the householder may subsequently decide to put into the lampholder, do they?

Kind Regards, John

Having initially satisfied the Building Regs in that way, those regs surely do not have control over what the householder may subsequently decide to put into the lampholder, do they?
Does not the fact that the OP wants to change the lights, not simply the lamp type, indicate that they are not lampholders which take BC or ES base lamps? It's a new build, remember.

Does not the fact that the OP wants to change the lights, not simply the lamp type, indicate that they are not lampholders which take BC or ES base lamps? It's a new build, remember.
It may do, but since the OP wishes to change to a fitting with glass shades, it could be a matter of choice. AIUI from what I quoted, a new build could comply by merely 'supplying' CFLs in a fitting with BC or ES lampholder(s) - is that not the case?

Kind Regards, John

Yes correct the CFL lights right now have 4pin connections on and the new lights I want are ES incadescent.

Just had this back from the manufacturer:

"Weight of each light is 800g

If you are fixing these lights to plasterboard, then you would need plaster board screws and fittings"

This I found interesting - albeit its based around pictures on wall not lights on ceilings - but similar principal right?

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/testing-wall-anchors-and-picture-hangers/

It seems its a trade off between holding power and damage to the ceiling/wall.

Even at the lowest end of this test: 50lbs is 22KG - this light is nowhere near this level at 800g

So in summary just plasterboard screws should do the trick if theres no ceiling joist or similar to work with?

AIUI from what I quoted, a new build could comply by merely 'supplying' CFLs in a fitting with BC or ES lampholder(s) - is that not the case?
It is, but that's not how they complied with this particular new build, it seems.

I dont like the colour temperature (4000K they provide).
colortempchart_large-600x529.jpg

You can also get those CFLs in 3500°, 3000° and 2700°. (aka 835/830/827 or white/warm white/very warm white.)

Might be worth trying a different one before heading down the road of high-running-cost incandescents. And incandescents of what sort, anyway? They are all being phased out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back