Solutions needed: Glass lampshade does not fit on new pendant lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve fitted some basic new pendant lights in the hall way for a relative but the cherished antique glass lamp shades no longer fit as the thread on the lampholder/cord grip is too shallow for the thick glass and angle of the glass makes screwing it on impossible. I can’t source any lampholder/cord grips with a longer thread. Can anyone think of solution? Any help would be much appreciated.
20D05462-CB4B-401D-B910-690147B1F4F9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
More details of the glass thickness and hole diameter would help.
There are loads of fittings available but ideally from a shop where you can compare fittings, not diy sheds where everything is in packaging and often the same.

Sponsored Links
Would this one work as it appears to have a long body with a thread outside so could be passed all the way through the shade then the ring fitted

I might be wrong but purely from looking at the pic I am wondering if you sandwiching the glass on the wrong bit of the lampholder - top cap with flex hole? Also how heavy is the glass, is it safe?

Mind you I once checked a ceiling rose to see if decent screws in for a slightly heavier shade - no screws at all! It was fastened to the ceiling paper with bostick type glue several years previous - the mind boggles

Would this one work as it appears to have a long body with a thread outside so could be passed all the way through the shade then the ring fitted
Although internally it takes a BC22MM lamp, you may find the outer diameter is 40mm,, there often known as continental lampholders.
Hard to tell hole size in the shade.
The SES version is thinner and may do the job, with two flanged shade rings and a decent flex clamp

The brass threaded holders take a thin brass ring which should fit in the shade instead of the thick plastic variety .Though shades probably intended fit spring clips , 80mm Lamp Shade Spring Clip Retainer for Glass Lamp Shades 3 Pack https://amzn.eu/d/avHyEXi

Last edited:
Sorry I should’ve said that the lampshade hole is 30mm. Thanks for all your suggestions. I think brass holders with springs will work. I’ll try that and let you know how I get on

Sorry I should’ve said that the lampshade hole is 30mm. Thanks for all your suggestions. I think brass holders with springs will work. I’ll try that and let you know how I get on
I don't think you need a new lamp holder it appears they are intended to be fitted above the lamp holder not to it so that the shade hangs on it so to speak. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1168397028/butterfly-clip-or-spring-for-holding?click_key=55e3fd25b8d79acf1f37622891af9e0ab5b9af14:1168397028&click_sum=4e860685&ref=shop_home_active_32&frs=1

You cannot fit brass holders to that pendant using the 2 core flex, also them springs only have a 10mm hole and designed to clamp between a lampholder and a shade gallery, so not ideal without other components like a gallery, 10mm thread and a 10mm cable clamp as well as some 3 core flex.
Screwfix do a made up ses white pendant complete, may be worth looking at that.
Can you post a pic of the shade entry hole as unless an exceptionally thick shade it's odd for it not to fit your bc holder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back