Light Fittings & Switches not earthed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my light fittngs and switches are not eathed I have noticed, even though my landlord has paid for the house to be re-wired before I moved in. It's got a nice shiny new circuit breaker so some work has been carried out. Is this acceptable or is this not safe?

Sponsored Links
Yes no earth wires are present, I had chrome switches to put on which I haven't done for obvious reasons. The light fittings are metal though.

What colour are the cables behind a light switch or socket?

And can you see if the earth has been cut off of those cables.

If its just been re wired it should most definitely be earthed. I would check your landlord got certificates for the wiring work that has been done.

Hope This Helps ...

Sponsored Links
What colour are the cables behind a light switch or socket?

And can you see if the earth has been cut off of those cables.

If its just been re wired it should most definitely be earthed. I would check your landlord got certificates for the wiring work that has been done.

Hope This Helps ...

The wires switches were all black, they are quite old. There's no obvious earth wire and no loose wires hanging around either.

The wires switches were all black, they are quite old. There's no obvious earth wire and no loose wires hanging around either.
As has been said, no house would have been re-wired in the past 30 or 40 years without an earth on the lighting circuit. Someone is either lying, or has been conned.

Whatever, as I think you know, if there is no earth available, it is contrary to regulations to have metal switches (the greatest danger) or metal light fittings. You probably need to take this up with your landlord but, before you do, perhaps you should consider whether your tenancy agreement allows you to go around changing light switches!

Kind Regards, John

are the cables in conduit ? The conduit could be earthed.

Nice of you to replace switches on your rented house

As has been said, no house would have been re-wired in the past 30 or 40 years without an earth on the lighting circuit. Someone is either lying, or has been conned.

Whatever, as I think you know, if there is no earth available, it is contrary to regulations to have metal switches (the greatest danger) or metal light fittings. You probably need to take this up with your landlord but, before you do, perhaps you should consider whether your tenancy agreement allows you to go around changing light switches!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John,

My landlord has allowed me a "free reign" to improve the house, as it is quite old and needs a fair bit of decorating (Obviously I'm not paying for any big jobs). He has had electrical work done and has a cert which I have a copy of. There's new smoke detectors to meet the regulations, I think the poor fella may have been conned as he's a nice fella and does all he can to help out with any issues.

are the cables in conduit ? The conduit could be earthed.

Nice of you to replace switches on your rented house

Hi Andy,

I don't think so, the cables are behind the wall so no obvious conduit and I'm not sure if they are in conduit in the wall - I'm not sure if that's common practice is it?

Thanks John, My landlord has allowed me a "free reign" to improve the house, as it is quite old and needs a fair bit of decorating (Obviously I'm not paying for any big jobs). He has had electrical work done and has a cert which I have a copy of. There's new smoke detectors to meet the regulations, I think the poor fella may have been conned as he's a nice fella and does all he can to help out with any issues.
It does sound as if there must be some earthing there. As AndyPRK has suggested, if the wiring is in metal conduit, that conduit may be providing the earth.

Does the documentation for the electrical work you have include a 'Schedule of Test Results',or something like that? If so, are there figures for measurements of 'Zs' for the lighting circuit(s)?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, My landlord has allowed me a "free reign" to improve the house, as it is quite old and needs a fair bit of decorating (Obviously I'm not paying for any big jobs). He has had electrical work done and has a cert which I have a copy of. There's new smoke detectors to meet the regulations, I think the poor fella may have been conned as he's a nice fella and does all he can to help out with any issues.
It does sound as if there must be some earthing there. As AndyPRK has suggested, if the wiring is in metal conduit, that conduit may be providing the earth.

Does the documentation for the electrical work you have include a 'Schedule of Test Results',or something like that? If so, are there figures for measurements of 'Zs' for the lighting circuit(s)?

Kind Regards, John

I'll have to check that when I'm home, I didn't know what I was looking at when I got it to be honest. I thought it was just a legal requirement for him to give me one.

Is it possible that the consumer unit only has been renewed and not a re-wire at all, the schedules of inspection and test should indicate whether a CPC is present on the lighting circuit. There should have also been placed on the CU a label stating that the light circuit is not earthed, if that is the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back