Light installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can someone help with what I'm sure is a very basic question? I want to change my ceiling light. There are 3 cables as per the pictures below and I have identified and marked the cable for the switch with brown tape. How should I wire all these wires to the new light fitting (also pictured)? Do I just bundle all the lives, neutrals and earths to their corresponding colours on the new light? Where do I connect the switch wires? Hope someone can help.

Thank you.[/img]
[/img]
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Seems your lucky some one has marked the switch return with brown tape.

So red and brown together but does not go to light.
Blacks together connect to neutral (blue) of light.
The Blue with brown tape to Brown of light.
All earths together and to light.

Thanks - does it matter which switch cable goes to which block I.e. Which one is connected to the light block and which is connected to the supply block?

Sponsored Links
I got a 5-arm light from B&Q last year and it required me to wire all 5 arms up into the choc block myself! Count yourself lucky yours is all preterminated. Awful job to do.

just a quick note to say thanks for your help. I've got the lights installed and working. Feeling quite chuffed with myself! 😃

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back