Light scratches and scuffs on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had my ensuite plastered but now that its dried out, I notice that there are a fair number of light scratches in places and the odd scuff mark mainly in the edges.

I am guessing that once I seal it I will see even more.

So, am I well within my rights to ask them to come back, and if so, would they be likely to re-skim it (just a single coat?) to fix this?

I may have an issue with the hole for the extractor as its near to a corner and the more coats that go on the worse I will be!! :(

I have used the plasterer before but one of the 2 is slightly better than the other, and unfortunately it was the not so good one who came to do the room!! Don't want to pee anyone off, but also expected a nice smooth wall like I have had on previous work!

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with my bathroom about 12 months ago! As mine were limited to about 20 marks I just got some fine surfcae polyfiller and a wallpaper scraper and filled the marks in. Becuase the polyfiller is almost like water and very fine it didnt need sanding and I cant see any marks now that its been painter!

Just an option in case you dont get the plasterers bacK!!

I just had my ensuite plastered but now that its dried out, I notice that there are a fair number of light scratches in places and the odd scuff mark mainly in the edges.
You may get the odd trowel mark on a bad day but if the plasterer was any good, you should not have marks all over the wall.

I am guessing that once I seal it I will see even more.
Seal it with what? Whatever you do don’t use PVA; all you need to do is paint it with a couple of cots of white matt emulsion thinned down by around 25%. You will then see any imperfections which you can fill before moving to the next stage but, as I said, there should only be one or two, if any.

So, am I well within my rights to ask them to come back, and if so, would they be likely to re-skim it (just a single coat?) to fix this?
If it’s a crap job then call them back & give them chance to rectify it to your satisfaction; have you paid them? They shouldn’t need to re-skim unless it’s really bad & in that case you wouldn’t want them to would you? Are you sure your not being over fussy? Can you post some high resolution pics?

I may have an issue with the hole for the extractor as its near to a corner and the more coats that go on the worse I will be!! :(
As I said, shouldn’t need it unless they have made a complete pigs ear of it; a skim coat should only be around 3mm thick.

I have used the plasterer before but one of the 2 is slightly better than the other, and unfortunately it was the not so good one who came to do the room!! Don't want to pee anyone off, but also expected a nice smooth wall like I have had on previous work!
You have every right to expect as good a job as you had before & you should explain that’s why you gave them repeat work. Everyone has to gain experience in order to get better but your job should not suffer as a result.

I wouldn't say there are loads, but there are a fair number, i.e. for long scratches probably at least 10 or more on a wall slightly larger than an 8x4 sheet. And thats the same on say each of the walls and ceiling. And about 30% or more of the lenght of the corners are not smooth.

Ceiling isn't wonderfull either.

Was gonna seal with the cheapest emulsion I can buy, watered down and then cover with around 3 coats of this before attempting to pain with Dulux Bathroom+ paint. Which I presume is totally non breathable!! :(

Room gets very humid.

BTW - why should I not mix in a bit of PVA with the emulsion? Out of curiousity.

I am not pi55ed of with them or anything and would like to see what they have to say about it first. But was thinking it all stands out more once wall is painted/sealed rather than bare plaster so was gonna do that first then see how bad it really is.

The odd mark I don't mind about as I can fill that, but when there are more than a few I start to think, the whole point of plastering is to get a nice finish......

Sponsored Links
The whole point is to get a good finish as you say; the odd trowel mark maybe but nothing that warrants lots of filling & rubbing down. We all get off days but I rarely get any marks & you can paint straight over my plaster work. Don’t really understand why the long scratches & no real reason why the corners should not be smooth. Can’t really comment further without at least seeing some pics. but if he’s prepared to come back & sort it, you should give him the opportunity to do so.

Why would you mix PVA with paint, it won't enhance it's properties at all & could cause unexpected reaction/result with the paint constituents. What I was actually referring to was not to seal the wall with PVA before painting, if you do that the paint wont soak into the surface of the plaster, it’ll be a pig to cover, won't adhere at all well to the wall & could start to peel off after time. Cheap emulsion is fine for the initial thinned wash coats, I generally use the own brand tubs.
Have you got an extractor fan fitted? If not you should consider it, they make a tremendous difference & are actually a Building Regs. requirement on new & totally refurbished bathrooms/kitchens/utilities.

Will give them a call and see what they say.

Yeah there is a fan in the room, though I think the humidy problem (once room is in use) is probably down to no real air flow into the room so the extraction is suffering.

With the door closed there is probably not enough air coming into the room!

Should encourage the use of opening the window a crack too!! :)

Will try to take photos tonight if I can get any that make sense. The will either call them up before sealing, or after if I think it will show them up better.

Thanks

Yeah there is a fan in the room, though I think the humidy problem (once room is in use) is probably down to no real air flow into the room so the extraction is suffering.

With the door closed there is probably not enough air coming into the room!
You can’t suck air out of a room if an equal amount can’t get in; your effectively trying to create a vacuum & an ordinary bathroom fan won’t be very effective at that

Should encourage the use of opening the window a crack too!! :)
Always a good idea.

Will try to take photos tonight if I can get any that make sense. The will either call them up before sealing, or after if I think it will show them up better.
If your gonna call him back do it before you seal.

Re: fan - yep too right, shame builders of houses don't really think of that when they build these houses. They could add a small vent to the top of the window or something - some of our windows have that!!

OK, will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back