Plastering advice for DIYer please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

I removed a wooden Curtain rail that was embedded in plaster and some of the plaster came away. It's too small a job to get a plasterer i so I'm going to have a go at it. From experience, I need to add a scratch coat then a 2mm or so finishing coat (thistle?) but as you can see from the image below the corner came away too and I don't know where to start!

Do I need an edge strip or take a flier and try to form the plaster around the corner and then make it good?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Kevin

20220926_135319.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Only a DIY'er, but I would fill the big gap with some plasterboard - it will give the new plaster something to grip to.
...and rather than using a corner bead and digging out more plaster from beneath the reveal, just using a stop bead along the edge should give a decent corner.

I would PVA the lot and you can also use some wide skrim tape and plaster with bonding first then multi finish. Use the remaining of the edge as a guide with a long straight edge to create neat corners. The remaining of the corner does not seem to have a bead so you basically restore it back to where it was prior to removing the curtain pole. Not ideal but it will work.

For future reference as I’ve done the same thing, when you remove curtain poles slide them up and down, do not pull them away from the wall.

I can see you have the timber lintel showing , if there is enough room to affix a strip of plaster board to it then do that or you may need to get some expamet mesh and fix it to it as timber moves and cracks might show later,you would probably need to fix a straight edge to the window reveal to help you form the edge when plastering , if you use plasterboard on the lintel you will need to cut the existing plaster back a bit to allow for scrim to be used , this will help to stop cracking as the timber swells and contracts with heat and moisture.
EDIT
it is hard to tell from the photo, but you may have enough room to stick a piece of skim bead in the gap to form a hard angle, this would do away with the need to affix a straight edge to the reveal and make your job easier.

Sponsored Links
+1 for filling the gap with plasterboard and skimming over the top. Plaster doesn't stick to wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back