Light stay's on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Changed a light fitting in my bedroom and ran across the following problem, hoping someone can help:

Not sure why but I have two sets of wires in this room. Live/neutral/Earth (Red/Black/green). The spare wire doesn't go anywhere I can see - i.e. only one switch for room, and no other rooms seem affected by this extra wire.

When I connected them all up 2 reds - brown and 2 blacks - blue it blew the fuse.

So tried again with one red - brown and one black - blue and the light stays permanently on.

Anyone point out what I'm doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
One set of conductors is the supply, and the other connects the switch.

You need to identify which set goes to the switch, although if you get it wrong the only problem will be the colour of the insulators being wrong.

If the two cables are 'A' and 'B', then connect them as follows:

A-green to B-green
A-red to B-red
B-black to brown
A-black to blue

This will make the lamp and the switch work without blowing a fuse, but you should ensure that A is the supply and also sleeve the B black conductor in brown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back