Light Switch 2 gang DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During renovations to my daughters house we want to renew the light switches however we have a 2 gang switch that is different to all the others in house and it uses 4 terminals on each switch. I can only find switches with 3 terminals at B&q tool station and screwfix. Can someone give me a direction of what to get and where. ,

Sponsored Links
They could be "intermediate" switches if additional switch or switches control the same light(s), or could be double pole switches but less likely.

Post a picture of the back of the switches to be certain.

Yes they do control multiple lights on landing and hall. Cannot post picture yet as no at my daughters house what's an intermediate switch and where can I obtain a standard white plastic switch as the one that installed is a metal frame switch held across the horizontal using back box fixings with a plastic cover with vertical fixings to switch internals. IT does not match anything else in house.

Yes they do control multiple lights on landing and hall.
Intermediate switches, then.

They are necessary when you have three or more switches controlling one light or one set of lights.

Cannot post picture yet as no at my daughters house what's an intermediate switch and where can I obtain a standard white plastic switch as the one that installed is a metal frame switch held across the horizontal using back box fixings with a plastic cover with vertical fixings to switch internals. IT does not match anything else in house.
That sounds like grid switches.

For ordinary switch - Google "Two-gang intermediate switches".

One example -
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2723.html

Sponsored Links
During renovations to my daughters house we want to renew the light switches however we have a 2 gang switch that is different to all the others in house and it uses 4 terminals on each switch.
Make absolutely sure that you keep track of the conductors. If you end up wiring it differently to how it is wired now it will work differently to how it works now.

It would be worth spending a bit of time learning how lighting circuits, and switch wiring works, before plunging in.
I take it the switches do all work properly now - nothing along the lines of "can't turn the toilet light on unless the landing light is on"?

Oops EFL
Ban all sheds thanks for links
Should be straight forward as it's just a switch change out ( cosmetic exercise)

Thanks

He's becoming assimilated in his new country - it stands for English Fado Lover

If its grid you can just change the front only for a new plastic one, a picture should show what make it is, no need to change switches unless you want to.
Though it will still have the vertical cover screws which im quessing is what you dont like

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back