Light Switch Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post here but looks like a great forum :)

I'm after some help with changing the light switch in my lounge, what I thought would be a simple job! I'll try to explain the best I can but can upload photos if needed.

When we moved into the house a few months ago the house only had a set of wall lights in the lounge. The owner had removed the ceiling light at some point however the rose and wiring was still there. He had also replaced the switch next to the front door with a single dimmer, the other switch located at the bottom of the stairs was left as it was. This all worked fine, dimmer would control the wall lights on\off and dim, and we could use the other switch to turn them on\off when needed.

What I wanted to do was get the ceiling rose working again, ideally with a double dimmer in place of the single one and the leave the other switch as it is. After buying a 2 way, 2 gang dimmer and coming to install it last night I realised I only had one live on the socket I was replacing (the dimmer seemed to require 2).

After much messing about we eventually just put a choc block on the end of the live and ran 2 seperate wires to each of the live terminals on the switch. This has now resulted in one of the dimmers controlling the lights and the controlling the ceiling light (fine) however the wall light dimmer also dims the ceiling light! Also the other switch at the bottom of the stairs now either turns all the lights off (if they were all on) or if one is on it turns that one off and the other one on!! :oops:

I'm thinking I might be better changing back to a normal switch and not a dimmer however will I have the same problem wiring that and is there a particular type of switch I need? 2way, 2 gang, 1 pole???

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Really need photos of the back of BOTH switches, and ideally inside the pendent too.

That's possibly because the "live" you connected to common is actually a switch wire.

What wire did you connect to the out-going terminal on the new switch?

Wasn't there a live + switch wire for the ceiling light taped up in the box?

As said, we need pictures of the switch by the door, the rose wiring and possibly the switch by the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Great - thanks for all the replies. I'll grab some pictures tonight and upload them.

I'll also give the articles a read that were linked too.

Cheers :)

Hi,

I managed to grab some photos last night so hoping these will help.

Dimmer Wiring -

//media.diynot.com/205000_204649_62111_68523423_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/205000_204649_62112_29231520_thumb.jpg

Stairs switch wiring,

//media.diynot.com/205000_204649_62113_37747298_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/205000_204649_62114_48283546_thumb.jpg

Ceiling rose wiring,

//media.diynot.com/205000_204649_62115_89901809_thumb.jpg

I should also mention that on the stairs switch there are 3 switches, left hand one and middle one control upstairs and dining room so it's the right hand one that controls the living room!

Any help appreciated

Thanks

For a second I genuinely thought the yellow core was connected directly to the CPC (In the rose picture)

You've posted thumbnails btw, I had to look in your album, please have another go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back