Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, I'm just after changing most of the light switches in my house, and I've come across two problems. Firstly, I have installed metal switches in some areas of the house, and I'm unable to earth the switches because when the house was built, whoever installed the lights seems to have cut off the ends of the earth switches so they won't reach to the terminal. Is there an urgent need to have these earthed and if so, would it be a big job for an electrician to do.
Second problem is regarding a one gang two way light switch. I've installed a number of these throughout the house which have gone well, but I'm having trouble with the light on my upstairs landing, where one switch is at the top of the stairs and the other is at the bottom. The bottom switch worked fine after replacing it and then when I replaced the top switch there were problems. The light switch at the top of the stairs has a layout of L and N terminals in and the same out, and two earth terminals. It is completely different to the rest of the standard switches with 2 lines and a common terminal. In the original switch, there was a blue wire in one line and a brown wire in the second line, and then a second brown wire in the common terminal, so is there any way that I can wire this new switch with the L and N terminals to work as a two way switch, because I don't understand the different markings (L and N in/out) on it, and it was advertised as a 1 gang 2 way switch. Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm just after changing most of the light switches in my house, and I've come across two problems. Firstly, I have installed metal switches in some areas of the house, and I'm unable to earth the switches because when the house was built, whoever installed the lights seems to have cut off the ends of the earth switches so they won't reach to the terminal. Is there an urgent need to have these earthed and if so, would it be a big job for an electrician to do.
Yes, metal switches must be earthed.
Can you extend the earth wire with a connector block and another piece of wire?

Second problem is regarding a one gang two way light switch. I've installed a number of these throughout the house which have gone well, but I'm having trouble with the light on my upstairs landing, where one switch is at the top of the stairs and the other is at the bottom. The bottom switch worked fine after replacing it and then when I replaced the top switch there were problems. The light switch at the top of the stairs has a layout of L and N terminals in and the same out, and two earth terminals. It is completely different to the rest of the standard switches with 2 lines and a common terminal. In the original switch, there was a blue wire in one line and a brown wire in the second line, and then a second brown wire in the common terminal, so is there any way that I can wire this new switch with the L and N terminals to work as a two way switch, because I don't understand the different markings (L and N in/out) on it, and it was advertised as a 1 gang 2 way switch. Thanks in advance for any help
That is an "intermediate" switch as you must have three switches operating the light.
You will have to get an intermediate switch to replace it.

You should never have fitted unearthed Class I metallic switches. You have put users of the installation in danger.

That is an "intermediate" switch as you must have three switches operating the light.
You will have to get an intermediate switch to replace it.
Are you sure. It sounds like a double pole one way switch to me.

Sponsored Links
You might be right. I might have misread it.

but I'm having trouble with the light on my upstairs landing, where one switch is at the top of the stairs and the other is at the bottom.
Presumably should NOT be a double-pole switch.

The light switch at the top of the stairs has a layout of L and N terminals in and the same out, and two earth terminals. It is completely different to the rest of the standard switches with 2 lines and a common terminal.
I took that to mean the original switch (to be replaced).

In the original switch, there was a blue wire in one line and a brown wire in the second line, and then a second brown wire in the common terminal,
Reading it again I am now confused as it seems there are only three wires so a normal two-way switch would be required.
So, is it the new switch that is different? If so, why would the OP query it if he has bought something different by mistake?

so is there any way that I can wire this new switch with the L and N terminals to work as a two way switch, because I don't understand the different markings (L and N in/out) on it, and it was advertised as a 1 gang 2 way switch.
Yes, it looks like I had it the wrong way round.

Better start again -

No. the new switch is misnamed. Get a two way switch.

Note: If you have already bought an intermediate that can be used as a two-way as well.

After googling it does look like an intermediate switch but do you know how I'd need to wire it for it to work?

No there's 2 switches operating it. Currently it's wired so that both switches can turn it on and off, but I can't turn it on at one switch and off at the other

No there's 2 switches operating it. Currently it's wired so that both switches can turn it on and off, but I can't turn it on at one switch and off at the other
Ok. Well, in that case it could well be a double pole switch that someone has mistakenly used. Post a picture.

You will need to get a two-way switch.

After googling it does look like an intermediate switch but do you know how I'd need to wire it for it to work?
With a two-way switch:
You just connect the brown and blue from the same cable to one end of the switch, and
the other brown to the other end.

If you were to use an intermediate although not necessary:
You just connect the brown and blue from the same cable to one end of the switch, and
the other brown to one of the terminals (doesn't matter which) the other end.

There's 3 wires at each fitting going into a cable connector which I think is the earth wire, so I'm going to buy some earth wire tomorrow and extend them so they'll reach to the earth terminal on the switch

Hopefully that will make everything have an earth connection, but the only way to be sure is to do a test at each point.

I've a friend who's an electrician so I might ask him to have a look once it's done. Thanks for the help anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back