Light switch route - is this legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hope someone can help...
We've had some work done by an (experienced) electrician. Part of this was to move a light switch to a new position to the right. It was previously in the middle of a wall with the cable chased into the wall going vertically upwards from the switch. He moved the switch by connecting a new cable into the old back box, and running it horizontally to the new switch position.
This doesn't seem right to me. Although the new (horizontal) cable is in a safe zone, the old drop of cable to the old metal back box no longer is (or won't be once the new cable and old metal box are plastered over!). Not to mention the inaccessible connection in the wall! He says it's all fine and we can plaster/decorate, but I don't agree.
Who is right?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not illegal, but it sounds like it does not comply with BS7671 regulations

It is only safe if the old switch box has a blank plate fitted, thus indicating the presence of cable. Shouldn't really be plastering over old switch boxes. Is there a join in the cable?

its not good practice to run sideways, how / what did he connect the cables

Sponsored Links
You are right.

The cable will be out of the zone, which is not good, but the burried connection definatly is not right.

That was quick, thanks!

Yes, old and new cables joined in the old metal box with those plastic terminal blocks, and a bit of polythene covering this 'ready' for plaster!

I admit we didn't say to him "We want a new cable vertically upwards from the new switch", etc - we expected him to follow regs. He knew we wanted everything chasing in (as he has) and no blanking plates.

ask him nicely to put a new switch cable in, choc blocks and polythene bag :eek:

Thanks for your replies.

Is re-routing this cable (to run vertically from new switch) a notifiable job (am I allowed to re-route it myself with no Part P as a DIY-er?) Might be the easiest way if I am...

As far as I know you can replace a damaged cable from the light to the switch and it is not notifiable.

I would say you'll be fine to do the work without need to notify.

It's not a special location, and only replacing part of an existing circuit

Thanks for all your help, sounds like a little bank holiday job for me.

dont do what everybody else does.
all the blacks/blue dont go together at the light ;)

As the 17th edition update says - stick a cable anywhere as long as it has rcd protection .. ( forgive me for paraphrasing !!) i think the real problem here is the fact he has made a join that when plastered over wont be accessible for inspection.

As the 17th edition update says - stick a cable anywhere as long as it has rcd protection ..
No it does not, the "draft for public comment" of the 17th edition had that provision but it was removed before the final version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back