Light Switch/Wiring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with the following problem I have with a light switch.

I have a 3 story house and have a two way light switch on the 1st floor that controls the 1st floor landing and 2nd floor landing. The light on the 1st floor can also be controlled from the ground floor and 2nd floor landings.

I want to replace this switch as it is very old and tatty but cannot find a replacement anywhere. The arrangement inside is as follows -

The left hand switch (which controls the 2nd floor landing) has an L slot with a brown wire a 1 slot with a grey wire and a 2 slot with a black wire.

The right hand switch (which controls the 1st floor landing) has an L1 slot with a grey wire, a L2 slot with a black wire, a 3 slot with black wire and a 4 slot with a grey wire.

There is also two brown wires terminated separately along with 3 earths terminated inside the box.

Seems like far too many wires for two lights and cannot find a like for like replacement anywhere. All the two way switches I have found contain only L1 L2 and com slots.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if I can buy a switch with a 2 way on the left switch and intermediate on the right? Also what are the two brown wires terminated together outside of the switch?

Sponsored Links
Crabtree or MK grid is best.

As no doubt you will have seen thanks to the link, the browns in the connector block are the 'common' wires going to the two way switches.

An intermediate can be used as a 2 way.

But a 2 way can't be used as an intermediate.

Though 2 gang intermediates do exist, they are quite rare - especially if you are trying to match up a particular design of switch.

Grid is the easiest way, though you may not get an exact match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back