light switches (new way of wiring??)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently finished rewiring my house. Now, as far as the lights / switches are concerned, I wired them the same as I always have.
So that in the switch, all you have is the live, earth and neutral. Then in the rose you have the wires in / out + your switch live.
Spoke to someone last night who swears that this is the old way of doing things.?? By all accounts all the wires should now be in the switch, leaving just the +/- earth in the rose. So if this is the case..... where does the switch live go?? I looked and cant think where to put it in the switch it would go. Has anyone else heard of this way of wiring???

Sponsored Links
First off, I hope you notified this to LABC.

Second, I hope you are just using the wrong terminology, rather than doing as you have written.

Third, to actually answer your question, there are several perfectly valid methods of wiring lighting circuits. As long as it works and all terminations, routing, identification, equipment standards, etc are compliant with the relevant regulations there is no issue with any method. Each method has advantages depending on the situation.

(If you do loop-in via the switches then the permanent phase conductors go into the common, with the switched phase being connected to the switched terminal. The neutrals all go together, usually in a piece of terminal strip because, despite this method having been used for decades no manufacturers actually accommodate it in their standard light switches.)

RF Lighting said:
It's becomming a more popular way of doing things now that everyone wants fancy light fittings everywhere, which often have little or no provision for loop in connections.

And should the DPC be adopted unaltered, it will be against the regs to loop-in at luminaires not designed for it...

...so there goes 95% of the country's replacement light fittings at a stroke! :D

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with a 6" pendant set I ask you? :rolleyes:

When will these people learn. :D

RF Lighting said:
Whats wrong with a 6" pendant set I ask you? :rolleyes:

Absolutely nowt... stick in a nice, cheap low energy compact fluorescent and you're green as a tree frog, too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back