Light Tunnel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since having our kitchen extended from 3m in length to 6m my wife has consistently complained that the rear of the kitchen is gloomy particularly on cloudy days.The extension part has a sloping roof so if a velux window was fitted there would be a varying distance of up to 50cms to the ceiling below which to my mind would not be aesthetically pleasing. I am therefore considering fitting a light tunnel so what I'm asking is does anyone have experience of one of these and how good are they at obtaining more light.

Sponsored Links
A friend has them but still using lights as they provide low level light.
Have a velux in my kitchen and looks fine ?

Foxhole. Does your kitchen have a sloping roof with a level ceiling below?
A friend has them but still using lights as they provide low level light.
Have a velux in my kitchen and looks fine ?

Sponsored Links
Further to this I have opted for a Velux and am wondering what the best way is to construct the resulting "tunnel" between the Velux and the ceiling below and what materials to use particularly with heat loss in mind. Would welcome any ideas.

Are you using an actual Velux branded window or another manufacturers window?

I've just been looking and wonder if the actual Velux are worth the premium over, for example, an Optilight like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262793825093

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It'll depend on the width of the ceiling joists, as you'll have to take out at least 2 of them to create the tunnel opening. And ideally, you'd have an expanding tunnel, rather than just a straight down, as that'll let more light in as the sun tracks round. Then as foxhole suggest, you'd use insulated plasterboard for the sides of the tunell, otherwise you'd get heat loss in to the void, and cold spots in the light tunnel.

But do you need a Velux window, or just a skylight that doesn't need opening. Could the skylight be cleaned from outside by a window cleaner, or do you need to open a centre hung window to be able to clean it from inside.

Are you using an actual Velux branded window or another manufacturers window?

I've just been looking and wonder if the actual Velux are worth the premium over, for example, an Optilight like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262793825093

Have not bought the window yet and does not have to be a Velux so my options are still open. The Optilight which you've linked to certainly looks worthy of consideration so will look into it. Certainly a cheaper option.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Doggit. Yes, whatever is fitted could be cleaned from the outside quite easily. To be honest I never thought of fitting a skylight and didn't know they still existed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back