Lighting a disused fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Before i ask for advice please know i will be getting a qualified electrician in to complete the work i'm talking about and i would just like some advice on what the job would entail.

I am renovating my home and have an old fireplace that is no longer in use. The plan is to install 12-24V RGBW led strips in the fireplace to cast diffuse warm light over the recess to provide a nice feature.

The room has two different light switches one for the central ceiling rose and one for some wall lights. All the wiring was done back in February and includes a neutral for installing smart switches.

I would like to have the LED strips either on a separate supply and controlled by a wireless relay on on the same switch as the wall lights.

I would also like to mount the TV on the face of the chimney breast so will need sockets in place also. There are all ready sockets on either side of the chimney on the downstairs ring so i assume the ring can be broken into for that.

We should have considered this back before we had the house rewired but we had just purchased it and had to get the electrics replaced before moving in (partially due to some insane "DIY" by the previous owner). Since then COVID and life has meant nothing else has been done and after living in it for 8 months we have found some areas where we would like to make changes before plastering etc.

any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Luke

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back