Lighting circuit for two lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone could help with this as i havent done any wiring for a while. I would like to install two standard lights in the loft with a 5 amp switch. Below is a simple diagram of the circuit:
Does this look correct or have i made any obvious errors? thanks

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look right at all. It looks like you're trying to use single core cable for the switch feed.

Instead, run normal twin-and-earth to the switch. And then another to the first light and a third to the second. Link the neutral in the switch and wire the two lives to COM and L1. Then connect the two lights up as normal.

If you look at your diagram, erase the blue and green going from the 'power' to the first light. Then draw a new blue and green from the 'power' to the lightswitch. That is the schematic you need.

If it's more practical to run to the lights first, then wire LN+E to LOOP Neutral and Earth at the first light. Connect a switch line (T+E) to the switch. The return live (the blue core) will connect to the live of the light. Then join LN and E of both lights together.

What do propose to use as your power supply? A fused spur, a lighting circuit junction, or direct from the fusebox?

Does anyone still sleeve or mark live returns these days? What happened to double red/brown and E?

Sponsored Links
yes you still have to sleeve the blue wire as brown, to indicate that it is a continuation of the live wire and not a neutral..

You and i know that but nobody round here seems to know it exists, at least i hav'nt seen much of it in use and some of the so called suppliers look strange when asked for it.

It costs more than brown / blue twin and earth, and means you have to carry more stock. That's probably why no one uses it.

if you're bashing houses from scratch for a living instead of fitting new sockets and showers etc, then it's not worth buying a roll for the 3 or 4 new light switch drops you might have to fit in a year..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back