Lighting circuit geometry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a wall across an existing room to split the room into two. Naturally, I'm going to need to install another switched light. (Actually a two-way.)

Looking at all the various reference materials it would seem that I need to find a junction box somewhere in the ceiling space and simply extend it; a star and hub arrangement. This disturbs me, as it's exactly the thing that ring mains were invented to prevent --- the junction box I'm tapping isn't in turn connected to another junction box connected to another, etc, until eventually this is all being fed off one piece of red-hot cable.

Can anyone point me at any references on how this is all actually supposed to work?

Sponsored Links
ring cuircuits are used to reduce the size of cable needed to make a safe 32A cuircuit they are not the be all and end all of wiring.

with lighting cuircuits you can spur as much as you wan't just keep the total load on the cuircuit to less than 1380W for a 6A lighting cuircuit

Hmm. Fair enough, although it still seems a bit dubious to me --- it basically means that any cable in the circuit must be sufficient to carry all the load of the circuit, right?

hjalfi said:
Hmm. Fair enough, although it still seems a bit dubious to me --- it basically means that any cable in the circuit must be sufficient to carry all the load of the circuit, right?

heeelllooo hjalfi thats 23-- 60w lightbulbs running all at the same time on any one floor ;)

Sponsored Links
hjalfi said:
Yes - that's because the cable is the same size throughout.

What's dubious about it?

hjalfi said:
That's true, but the answer is in the maths - have a look at the rating (in Amps) of a 1mm^2 T&E cable - you'll find it's well over the rating of the fuse/MCB that you have protecting it. And you may well have 1.5mm^2 cable, so you have even a bigger margin!

Cheers,

Howard

hjalfi said:

It's been working in the UK and all other countries for over 100 years now mate, so I think we have lighting circuits sussed pretty much now.

If you do not understand how the circuit works, that lighting circuits are radials not rings, and that rings are designed for specific reasons, then perhaps you are not the person to be undertaking electrical work...

Oh, don't worry. I have a healthy respect for electricity. What I'm doing now is making sure that I *do* understand it before doing anything. I just found the fact that lighting circuits are radials slightly surprising given the general anal-retentiveness of the UK electrical regulations, and wanted to get confirmation...

One way is to run Wall Lights off their own separate B6 MCB, so that if one B6 Lighting circuit trips out when a bulb fails, you will still have light available in the room etc.

hjalfi said:
I just found the fact that lighting circuits are radials slightly surprising given the general anal-retentiveness of the UK electrical regulations
Why?

And why do they seem dubious to you in terms of cable capacity when it is actually ring circuits which are dubious, not radials?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back