lighting circuit help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

Im not sure if my existing light switch wiring is correct there are two cables to the switch i am assuming one is from consumer unit the other is to the light
the cable from the consumer unit has live and earth
the cable to the light has live and earth and neutral not being used
is this correct as i would like to move the switch and will need to extend cable length shall i not use the neutrals.

https://imgur.com/a/LoE8W0J
https://imgur.com/a/poGwwF4

h2Ewr8

LoE8W0J

Sponsored Links
Northern wiring.

Assuming everything works, that looks fairly normal.

You can extend the wiring using one 'twin and earth cable'.

Ensure the black wire shown is terminated on it's own in a terminal.

It looks to me like the two black wires have been twisted together and wrapped in red tape. I strongly suspect this is your neutral connection to the light and you will need to maintain it. However twisting and taping is not an approved method of connecting wires!

If you want to extend the wiring to a new switch you will want a four terminal junction box to accomodate the live feed, switched live to light and the neutral and earth connections. It is preferable to avoid inaccesisble joints where possible, but if they can't be avoided an appropriate "Maintinance free" junction box should be used, for example the Ashley/Hager J804

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like the two black wires have been twisted together and wrapped in red tape. I strongly suspect this is your neutral connection to the light and you will need to maintain it.
Or the switch was installed by a numpty who didn't know that you could use black/red cable for a switch drop, didn't have twin red, so used just the reds from two T&E

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back