Lighting circuit

well i agree with that, i would, personally, not describe 5 to 10% as rare, minority perhaps, rare i might include 1% or less or thereabouts, it depends upon your context and of course what you have seen where you have seen it so we might all have a slightly differing opinion certainly the works i have undertaken red was the "true L" and black the "switched L".

Mind you for strappers if using the old ryb a lot would use red on the com connection for two way switching whereas i am unusual in using red for L1, i suppose its to put both reds (either on T & E or 3 C & E) in a terminal and designating them both as "True L" and the remaining colours as switchable. copied thru of course to the new colours Br Bk Gr & Br Blu combinations, of course i always sleeve but leave a snippet of the original colour showing underneath for easy reference.

but just because i do that it does make me right and anyone else wrong though

Sponsored Links
Ok. From 5/10%. Do I have any advance on 50%?

See if you can find a number of images of roses wired like that.
I don't take pictures of everything I work on so I don't know if I have any pics and quite frankly I don't care one way or the other if I have any or have not.
well i agree with that, i would, personally, not describe 5 to 10% as rare, minority perhaps, rare i might include 1% or less or thereabouts, it depends upon your context and of course what you have seen where you have seen it so we might all have a slightly differing opinion certainly the works i have undertaken red was the "true L" and black the "switched L".
Of course that is your experience and one which I reckon many electricians will agree with and quite rightly so.
Mind you for strappers if using the old ryb a lot would use red on the com connection for two way switching whereas i am unusual in using red for L1, i suppose its to put both reds (either on T & E or 3 C & E) in a terminal and designating them both as "True L" and the remaining colours as switchable. copied thru of course to the new colours Br Bk Gr & Br Blu combinations, of course i always sleeve but leave a snippet of the original colour showing underneath for easy reference.
And the method I'd automatically go with too. It has always struck me as strange that so many have stuck with the 'conventional method' wiring colours when using the 'conversion method'.
but just because i do that it does make me right and anyone else wrong though
Totally agree. The only time I've ever described the chosen colour scheme as wrong was for 3x 2 way circuits with multiple intermediates wired in 3C&E where the installer had chosen to use all reds for one circuit, all blues etc
1688222074091.png

It made fault finding very tricky when the site maintenance guy replaced a broken 3Gang switch and wired it the 'proper way'.
SOMETHING LIKE THIS POSSIBLY:
1688258903023.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back