Lighting for under bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a bath panel with 3 frosted glass windows and am now looking to provide a source of effect lighting under the bath.

The original idea (and suggestion of the supplier) was to fit a waterproof fluorescent unit (5ft 58watt). Unfortunately this would not fit under the bath :mad: - will be going in the garage instead!!.

If I understand the zoning rules correctly the area under the bath is considered un zoned as long as a mechanical device needs to be used to remove any panelling (e.g. screwdriver).

My thinking now is that a low voltage device would be the safest bet here and was thinking along the lines of garden type floods or spots (think that 3 20watt units would be ample) coupled to a waterproof transformer. Mains feed to a waterproof junction box and all to be housed under the bath.

Has anyone undertaken any similar project? Any suggestions for lighting type etc

Sponsored Links
LED units. ;) Very low consumption and can be colour changing etc. search google for LED lighting.

Crafty said:
LED units. ;) Very low consumption and can be colour changing etc. search google for LED lighting.

Agreed, I've seen them used with excellent results.

b & Q have colour changing led lights that now have the option of changing in time with the music (honest) i think it was around £80 for the 8 set.

I used to have the 4 set, (non music operated)

just googled, only £70, clicky

Sponsored Links
because they are cheap and easy to get.

oh, you may also want to consider these
Its not me, i already have some, and awaiting delivery of more, the good thing with these is, no controller required, and they will all change to the same colour at the same time.

down side need, need suitable fittings, and must be 12v AC, they will not colour change on most electronic transformers (as i found out the hard way) so i used an old wire wound 12v transformer i had kicking around

I have 6 of them in the garden

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The LED idea looks good.:D

Like the idea of colour change :cool:

I have had a lighting cable installed in the wall running to behind the bath (not yet connected of course!). The lights will be controlled by a ceiling pull switch. Looking at these LED's they are supplied with a power controller in the form of a standard 13A plug. My concern is that this would require a 13A mains socket behind the bath panel. How could it be protected from water ingress? Is there such a thing as a waterproof housing for such a connection?

my latest batch of colour change led lamps just arrived (yes at 06.45) our post man is early

For a friend who had a translucent bath we fitted two lengths of 6 inch clear plastic pipe, one each side of the bath. These went through the stud wall into the next room and from this room 5 foot flouresent tubes were slid into the pipes. Ends of pipes and control gear hidden by a book case.

breezer said:
put the main bit i n the loft ?
Now I should really have thought of that :mad: Looks like it may require a bit of modification i.e. lengthen the lead from the power supply 3 pin to allow it to be placed in the loft and the feed then down inside the wall cavity to under the bath. Think I should go an have a look at the actual units in B&Q to see what the connections are. One benefit is that there will be no mains power (other than the Jacuzzi) under the bath :D
Breezer sounds like you are really into the colour change world - have you got them wired for music yet ?:cool:

bernardgreen said:
For a friend who had a translucent bath we fitted two lengths of 6 inch clear plastic pipe, one each side of the bath. These went through the stud wall into the next room and from this room 5 foot flouresent tubes were slid into the pipes. Ends of pipes and control gear hidden by a book case.
What an ingenious solution. Unfortunately would not work in my case due to bath positioning. :(

TonyWarrington said:
Breezer sounds like you are really into the colour change world - have you got them wired for music yet ?:cool:

no, the latest set do that, i had the previous set, I say had, because i no longer have them, gave them away.

The cable to the first light is about 3m i think, itss a flat 4 core, but the one to the control box (about the size of a box of swan matches) is a 2 core. snip snip choc blocks?

or go for the ones i have now got, they only go 7 colours but they are brighter.

I am going to put some in the front "garden" for christmas, getting rid of the 4 par 38's

hi guys,

was thinking of buying the roper rhdes PORTO bath panel with ready installed LEDs (IP65)

having seen the post I am contemplatif just buying a bath panel with frosted sections and putting in some of the lighting mentioned above.

my question is can you dim 240v or 12v led lights at all?

many thanks

Tony, I am planning the same and intend to use normal flourescent tubes. As you note it is unzoned so there is no requirement for IP rating.

I am a bit concerned that you are so worried about the risk of splashing. A properly fitted and maintained bath should not leak!

I am one to over-engineer myself, but sometime you need to be realistic. If the IET accept that underneath a bath with properly fixed side panels is unzoned, then maybe you should treat it as such?

Why not just lie down in a darkened room until the idea goes away?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back