Lighting in single core cable

Sponsored Links
It is made in 1mm².

It is unlikely to be usefully smaller than 6242Y.

It is very likely to be more expensive than 6242Y given the much lower demand.

It is made in 1mm². It is unlikely to be usefully smaller than 6242Y. It is very likely to be more expensive than 6242Y given the much lower demand.
Interesting - and, yes, you're probably right on both counts. It's just nice to know what is 'out there', just in case one ever thinks of a need for it!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
My wholesalers keep it on the shelf.

It's always handy to have on the van to extend or alter an existing circuit wired in sheathed singles.

Yeah there's loads of installations like it. It tends to be older domestic ones in the majority.

Yeah there's loads of installations like it. It tends to be older domestic ones in the majority.
Oh, one learns something every day! - can't say I've seen that. When we acquired this house (about 25 years ago), one of the lighting circuits was in unsheathed singles (and stapled to rafters, along with a bare, seemingly steel, 'earth'!), but I don't think I've ever seen final circuits wired in sheathed singles.

Kind Regards, John.

It's sounds like your house was more of a DIY lash up than a conventional installation!!

It's less common to see these days, but it was very common probably between 1960 and 1980 when loop in seemed to become more fashionable.

There are plenty of both earthed and unearthed circuits knocking about. Usually plastic or PVC insulated, but I've seen it in rubber too.

My wholesalers keep it on the shelf. It's always handy to have on the van to extend or alter an existing circuit wired in sheathed singles.
Do you see much of that - and, if so, in what sort of situation?

Kind Regards, John.

I owned a house in Sheffield built 1970 with the lights wired in sheathed singles & no earth. I thought it was odd at the time. (Was all T&E when I left though!).

I owned a house built in 1968 which had black sheathed singles for lighting neutral and single plus E for line. red insulated 3/029 for line, green insulated 1/044 for E, both in a grey sheath.

It's sounds like your house was more of a DIY lash up than a conventional installation!!
That's a serious understatement - although, as far as the electrics were concerned, the majority of it was pretty new when we moved in, and seemingly done to a pretty high (contemporary) standard; just a few bits seemed to have been 'overlooked', probably because they were in a dark corner (of a very large house) which no-one was very interested in :). However, previous generations of wiring were still largely present (but not in use!) throughout the house - mainly lead-sheathed VIR and cotton/cotton singles in conduit. However, the plumbing, most of which I think was ~1900 in vintage, was probably the biggest nightmare and seemed to have been installed by a chemical engineer or an ex-employee of a water pumping station!

Kind Regards, John.

I have seen single core 1.5 a few times in lofts built around the 1980's
and pretty sure a single core and bare earth also was produced.

6mm D/I meter tails and sometimes smaller was also common in days of 30 amp switchfuses and off peak timer/ contactor controls

6mm D/I meter tails and sometimes smaller was also common in days of 30 amp switchfuses and off peak timer/ contactor controls
I've certainly seen 10mm² used in that way, but not anything smaller that I can recall.

Kind Regards, John.

Thinner DI tails are often used to attach a supply to a timeswitch for E7.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back