Lighting off Radial Circuit (with diagram)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just bought LED strip lights for my garage to replace the poor conventional strip lights.
I noted how the old ones were wired and wired the new strip light 1 the same way.
I noticed the whole of the unit was registering live on my simple volt meter!
I put the old one back to check I had wired correctly and that too registered live.
I'm guessing this was always the case. Am I missing an earth from the strip light? If so where should it be earthed to?
I have added a simple diagram of how I can see the circuit has been wired.
Confused? I am!!
I'd appreciate your input.

Attachments

• IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
registering live on my simple volt meter!
What type of meter, and where were you measuring?

The diagram shows no earth to anything - surely the socket and FCU have an earth connection?
If the lights require an earth, then it must be connected.
The diagram also shows that the neutral is switched, which is incorrect.

The N&L to the lights is shows as a single yellow - how is this done in reality? Is it a single wire as shown, or part of another cable?
Can you get some pictures of the actual wiring to the lights, FCU/socket and the switches?

Hi, photo of voltmeter attached.
The thick black line in the top left is the radial coming in. Its 3 core and the socket, fcu and switches are all earthed.
The wires to the light are in fact single yellows.
It's awkward to get at the fcu to take a photo but I have attached a photo of the switches
IMG_3853.JPG IMG_3849.JPG IMG_3850.JPG

need to see the spur as i believe its wired as an conduit system and the hand drawn drawing is wrong and a neutral goes from the spur direct to the neutral on the fitting and the yellow from switch 1 should go to live on the fitting, this of course needs testing before altering

Sponsored Links
Hi as they are both yellow and go through trunking it is possible that the diagram is wrong and the wiring is a you say.
If it as you suggest, what is your recommendation?

Just to mention that the connector on the light fitting is screwed to the fitting itself as an earth (the connector with no wires in or out)

That thing only indicates the presence of a live conductor in the vicinity of it, and should not be relied on for anything.

There is no earth to the lights - you need to add an earth wire from the FCU earth terminal to the lights.
The switches appear to have an earth wire there, but there is nothing to suggest it is connected to anything.
There must be another joint or junction box between the switches as the wiring colours are different in each.

The blue and brown wires are the light fitting wires and the 2 yellow ones are the ones mentioned earlier. There is nothing else.

I will run an Earth cable as you suggested. Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back