Lighting project I need a little help with please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok here goes, I have on the outside of my house a front wall light, x2 small lighting bollards at the entrance of my drive way and x2 down slots in my facias.
There are all controlled by a sangamo solar time clock in my loft.
The lamps in the light fittings are all dimmable LED’s but what I want to do is design a system when the lights go on when it’s dusk and then all dim down to about 25% at say 10:30pm then off at midnight.
I know I could possibly use a domestic dimmer switch which goes into circuit at that 10:30pm time and possibly use some kind of relay but unsure how.
Any help would greatly be appreciated Thank you .

Sponsored Links
I would suggest doing this with some "smart" technology.

I would recommend the fibaro dimmers, but with these you really need a full blown home automation system to control them.

If you're not thinking about expanding the automation of things, something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepless-C...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07BKXMS6C

may be suitable. Personally I'd want to be running custom firmware on something like this, but I'm sure many people run these out of the box.

The other way of doing it, as you say, is with a standard dimmer, a 240v co-relay and another timer.
Connect the lights to the common of the relay, the existing time switch to the nc contact, the dimmer to the no contact then the extra time switch (set for 22:30 - 00:00) to a1 a2 (coil)

Thanks James so just to confirm the arrangement take the switched live from the time clock and put that in terminal 3 then take the it out of terminal 2 to lights then take a line from terminal 1 through the dimmer then to the lights again ??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back