Lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In the kitchen we have to ceiling roses, one of which for some reason is off centre. We decided to have a second ceiling put up as the original was in a bad state. I took this chance to centre the off light. I put a cable from each ceiling rose and took it to where we wanted the lights I replaced the cover of the roses and got the ceiling installed.

As one of the lights is in the same position you can just see the ceiling rose through the hole where the cable comes through the new ceiling. The trouble is the people who put the ceiling in must have removed the covers as this one is no longer in place. I assume the other is the same it must have stuck out too much.

So question is can I leave this or not?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Well - what you have done is unsatisfactory, cover or not.

How will you access the wiring should something go wrong?

So in other words, you've had a lowered ceiling put in, and above you have ceiling roses used as junction boxes, and the covers are off.

It's not really ideal.

For a start, as these roses are inaccessible, maintenance free junction boxes should have been used.

How easy is it to get above the old ceiling?
If you can, you need to break a hole through the old ceiling from above, and fit maintenance free junction boxes.

Requirements will state that any joint must be accessible or a maintenance free method of joint must be used.
Any joints must be placed within an enclosure.

Does what you have comply?

Sponsored Links
Are you certain the cover is separate from the base?

Is it possible the ceiling installer could have simply remove the rose from the old ceiling, and put the lid back on?

It's defiantly just the base up there. I'm thinking the best bet will be to cut a hole in the new ceiling and then putting a maintenance free jb up there then putting and sealing the ceiling back up. Would this then be ok? Shame there is no easy access from above.

Yes, you can do that.

It is worth noting they make a round circular plasterboard box. If you cut a round hole in the ceiling the size of one of these boxes, you may be able to reach the connections.

The box fits into the hole by flanges, and the light fitting can be fixed to the box.

I must stress this arrangement isn't recommended for heavy fittings.

Also it may not be of much use since you have altered the light positions, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

The junction box(es) you require is most likely a four terminal 20 amp maintenance free jb.

The best ones are made by Hager (Ashley).

Some tips for you since the JBs will become inaccessible;

Make sure the ends of the wires are sound. If they have been pinched by the old terminals, they will need re-stripping before trying to push into the MF JB terminals.

Use earth sleeving on all bare earth wires.

Be sure the new cables to the new light positions do include an earth wire.

Can't you remove the old ceiling rose and just pull the wires to the position of the new one?

I don't like any junction boxes at all be they maintenence free or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back