Lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble with wiring a light fixture in my house. There are five wires coming from the ceiling, 2 pairs of red and naked, and a single black wire. One of the pais must be the switch, since the voltage in the red changes from 0 to 240V as I open and close the switch. The second pair does not have any voltage when the switch is open or closed and the black wire is constantly at 220V. I am really confused. I have attached the photo below, the pair with the red tape is the switch wire. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I would appreciate your advice. Many thanjs, D
View media item 84859

Sponsored Links
Oh dear......

Do 2 switches control that light ?

What can you remember about how it used to be wired? any pictures?

Hi, no, only one switch operates the light, but I suspect that there used to be two switches at some point in time. I don't remember how it was wired, I wish I did!

Sponsored Links
and the switch operates only this light. Having said that, during some of the permutations I tried, I was able to turn the light on and off using the switch from the bedroom next door (the switches between the two bedroom are connected, there seems to be a loop at the switch!).

Hi,

Firstly the "naked" wire is earth and should be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving and connected to the earth connection of the light if it has one, if not connect to a connector strip and make safe.

The red wire which is live when the switch is on is obviously connected to L on the light fitting the Black wire should be Neutral and connected to N on the light fitting.

Now,the spare red Must be put into a connector block on its own and made safe. Try that your light may work as expected.

The spare red may be a looped switched live to another light which has been removed.

Be careful switch the power off before you attempt this !

Regards,
DS

Hi, just read your second post, the spare red could be a switched live from the bedroom switch ?

Regards,

DS

Hi DS,

Thanks for the advice. The spare red does not appear to be connected to the switch, there was not voltage when I turned the switch on and off. Could it be connected to the switch of the other bedroom? That would be bizzare. Could it be the return in the loop, hence not live?

Hi, in your original post you said one red was live when you switched the switch? Was that the switch operating the room light or the bedroom switch ? Slightly confused !

DS

and the switch operates only this light. Having said that, during some of the permutations I tried, I was able to turn the light on and off using the switch from the bedroom next door (the switches between the two bedroom are connected, there seems to be a loop at the switch!).

Permutations.

Not that we like the trial and error method, and will never suggest you try it, but can you remember what ways you have tried to connect the light, and what happened?

What room is this in?

And is it possible a wire may have got lost in the ceiling void?

If there's a loft above, tracing where each wire goes may even help.

It does seem an odd amount of wires, but there may well be a reasonable explanation why it is like that.

Iam obviously missing something ! You have a switched live from the switch to the light (as you have said you had the light working?)So, you also have identified ; Swiched live and Neutral and Earth, what's the problem the light works?

Sorry,

DS

when the switch is off, there is no voltage in the red wires, only 220 V in the dark wire (assumed neutral). When I turn the switch on, the red wire with the tape on becomes live (240 V). The other red is never live. Now, the switch of the room I am talking about is connected to the switch of the room next door and when I was trying different combinations, I managed to turn the lights in both rooms using the switch of the adjacent room. I also need to mention that the lights of the adjacent bedroom do not work, and only worked when both lights were on using its switch. This is another issue that makes me wonder what is happening! I will try what DS is suggesting, i.e. ignore the spare red and just connect what appears to be the switch red to see what happens. I think, however, that this way the light in the adjacent room will not work because there is a return loop somewhere.

I tried a few combinations at the start, but I don't remember what worked and what not, I was too complacent with this connection!

Get an electrician in to sort it before you electrocute yourself. Swapping wires around by trial and error is not safe. An electrician will have the proper test equipment to trace the correct wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back