Lights in kitchen not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lights in my kitchen went off one day. The system is fixed to the ceiling and has 3 lights in 3 directions. I initially though it was a problem with the bulbs but it doesn't work even if I replace the bulbs. Any suggestions on where to start looking greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It may have a large transformer in it with an internal fuse.
Sometimes the fuse blows if a lamp pops.

Take cover off & have a look. Make sure you get the same type of fuse if you need to replace it.

Sorry, for getting back so late. There is actually a transformer within the unit and it is actually stuck on the inside. Cannot see a fuse here. Do we need to open up the transfprmer? The model is

HALOTRONIC HTM 105/230~240

Thanks

I can see the cover but cannot get it off as it won't slide and I don't see any mechanism to allow it to slide off :( Maybe I am being dumb but can I apply force and pull it off anyway?

Finally, got it off but everyting is soldered so any easy ways to figure out what blew off and also please suggest a kit that I can buy to do this myself.

Thanks very much

The spec for the transformer is here http://www.voltimum.co.uk/catalog/p...105-HTM-105W-230-240V-WITH-HOUSING-Osram.html

Its a 105W transformer but u need to check it is the transformer and not something else befopre u buy a new one.

Check: is there mains going to the input?
If there is mains goin in then:
Next connect a known working 50W lamp to the output.
If the lamp lights then there the transformer if OK and you've a wiring fault on the 12v side

If the lamp does not light then you need a new transformer. You could buy and 105W transformer that will fit.
There is a HALOTRONIC HTM 105/230~240 for sale on ebay for £10 right now.....

You said 3 lights, and you also mention a 105w transformer- you havn't been using 50w lamps, have you?

Thanks Taylortwocities. I will give it a try.

Just looking at t he bulbs, what may have happened is that it originally had 35W bulbs and one of them popped so I got another one that looked similar (I knew nothing about what would be supported) and this one was a 50W. So currently it has 2 X 35W and 1 X 50W. Based on the question you've asked this is going upto 120W. Would that blow up the transformer?

I will give it another try with just the 2 35W bulbs and see if it works.

Thanks very much for your responses.

Thanks Taylortwocities. I will give it a try.

Just looking at t he bulbs, what may have happened is that it originally had 35W bulbs and one of them popped so I got another one that looked similar (I knew nothing about what would be supported) and this one was a 50W. So currently it has 2 X 35W and 1 X 50W. Based on the question you've asked this is going upto 120W. Would that blow up the transformer?

I will give it another try with just the 2 35W bulbs and see if it works.

Thanks very much for your responses.

Light fitting manufacturers are swines for fitting low rated trannys.

A half decent transformer will "trip" then reset itself when the load is removed. Cheap ones will burn out. If you havn't yet, try leaving it switched off for a little while.

(I once found some LV lights in a bathroom with the switch wired to short circuit the transformer load connections. Fantastically, this worked for a couple of years- the switch shorted the transformer, which tripped out so no light, then when you turned the switch off the transformer reset itself and the lights came on.) :eek:

The spec of the transformer says:

Short-circuit protection: electronically reversible 1)
Overload protection: electronically reversible 1)
Overtemperature protection: electronically reversible 1)

1) For HT...L only if supplied with ac voltage

IThis means that if you overload it, the transformer will cut out and reset when u remove the overload and then switch off and then on the supply.

Pop the 2x35w in and give it a try. If it doesnt work then probably the tranny is phut. The overload feature seems to be only on the
(quote) HT....L model and you have an HTM.

Thank you. I tried with the 2 35W bulbs but it won't come up. I just need to test the direct line to make sure nothing else is wrong, if not, order a new transformer.

Thanks for your help Taylortwocities and hairyben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back