Lights looped on switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a look at a few of my lights on my 1970s house and they are all wired in with the loops at the switch rather than the light.

I want to extend the circuit for my extension. Should I continue to loop in at switch or loop all at lights. I was going to look all new ones at lights.

Sponsored Links
Looping at the switch means there will be a Neutral at the switch for any electronic switches that you may decide to use.

Also the wiring at the ceiling rose is far simpler.

The only down side is the need for three twin and earth cable down the wall to the switch instead of the one where the loop is at the ceiling rose,

Sponsored Links
Presumably it still meets regs to loop at the switch?

Of course. If anything t'is much more common now, somewhat of a rareity to find it done like that on a 1970s install, but quite common these days to do it that way (as everyone wants fancy fittings, not pendants and batten holders these days)

You can 'mix and match' as well if it suits the job. But note comments about neutral at switch being desirable thing to have and if not looping at switches then consider wiring the switchwire in 3+e

What switches need a neutral at the switch? Presumably some kind if smart switches? Any examples as I haven't considered these?

What switches need a neutral at the switch? Presumably some kind if smart switches? Any examples as I haven't considered these?
Most smart switches, most PIR light switches in fact, most devices that have electronic intelligence need a neutral
(readers, I am generalising here. Pedants please don’t say but there’s this, and that).

there are devices that do not need a neutral, but many of those are designed to work with traditional lamp loads and cannot work if presented with a low current load- Like LED lamps.

Just had a look at a few of my lights on my 1970s house and they are all wired in with the loops at the switch rather than the light.

I want to extend the circuit for my extension. Should I continue to loop in at switch or loop all at lights. I was going to look all new ones at lights.
The chances are you extension will require a permanent live and neutral feed, so it sounds like you won't have that at the light.

If your extension is really small, and it's only to make the same room bigger, then you can come from this light so the new light comes on with it.

More info needed.

Looping at the switch does not always guarantee a neutral will be there, if;-
Round conduit and singles has been used.
Sheathed singles have been used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back