Strip light connected to socket loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please advise,
I have a loop circuit going around my shed to supply 5 double sockets.
I do not have a light circuit at all, just the one feed wire comeing in to the shed to make the socket loop circuit.

I wish to put a strip light in this shed and was going to take the feed for this from the back of one socket, through a light switch, and onto the strip light, is this safe?
In the past I have had the strip light running from a std plug from one of the sockets, but I wanted to tidy it up,
Is this a good idea or should I continue to use the std plug set up,
thanks

Sponsored Links
You should fuse the supply down before connecting to the switch using a fused spur unit, or use a switched fused spur unit instead.
What do you mean by loop circuit? Do you mean they are part of a ring main?

Spark123 said:
You should fuse the supply down before connecting to the switch using a fused spur unit, or use a switched fused spur unit instead.
What do you mean by loop circuit? Do you mean they are part of a ring main?

Thankyou for responding, please find a few more details below

The supply to my shed/office is comeing from a nearby building by a std 13a plug, on entering my shed, the wire is fed into and out from the 5 in line sockets, this is as far as I have got with the rewire at the moment,

is there any point in continuing the wire from the last socket back to the first socket, bearing in mind it is all fed from one 13a plug?

Now that you know the setup, what is the best way to connect one striplight to the system?
Thanks again

Just a question to the reglar posters here

How do you differentiate between a wind up and a genuine plea for help?

He said in his first post

In the past I have had the strip light running from a std plug from one of the sockets, but I wanted to tidy it up,

But in the second post says

The supply to my shed/office is comeing from a nearby building by a std 13a plug, on entering my shed, the wire is fed into and out from the 5 in line sockets, this is as far as I have got with the rewire at the moment,

If it is genuine, he needs a stern lecture from BAS

If its a wind up, he needs a stern lecture from BAS

Sponsored Links
swelec said:
Just a question to the reglar posters here

How do you differentiate between a wind up and a genuine plea for help?

He said in his first post

But in the second post says

If it is genuine, he needs a stern lecture from BAS

If its a wind up, he needs a stern lecture from BAS

What I meant to say was in the past I have just used an extension lead for the light, Its not a wind up, and I do need helpfull comments, so if you can help, help. If you can,t keep quiet please,
I have no idea what or who BAS is either. and if I wanted to know what it is I would have asked.

My last post had two questions, all i need is two answers that are in plain english please
Thanks

OK in plain English

No one will or should now tell you how to fix any additional equipment to your set up as the existing system is wrong in so many ways

My advice would be for you to read up on the wealth of information available on this site regarding external feeds to sheds etc then come back with another question

swelec said:
OK in plain English

No one will or should now tell you how to fix any additional equipment to your set up as the existing system is wrong in so many ways

My advice would be for you to read up on the wealth of information available on this site regarding external feeds to sheds etc then come back with another question

OK, thats fair comment, ! will not fix any additional eqpt to my existing set up, although this set up seems to work ok, so its a pity no one will tell me whats wrong with it,
please remember this site is a DIY site, hence all questions are from total non experts, ie there would be no need for a qualified sparky to be asking questions,
sorry to get political, but all I wanted was a few straight answers to help me get the wireing done.

Well what i can gather from reading ur msg is that u have 5 sockets fed from a 13A plug which is plugged into a socket in the house? If this is the case then the socket leaving ur house and giong to the first socket would be carrying the mose load. I dont think u mensioned if they are doubles or singles but say they are singles, then 5 x 13 = 65A. Thats 65A flowing down 1 cable. You didnt mension the cable size but say its a 2.5mm T&E. of the top of my head i think its around 24Amps that can carry. I dont imagine ull have all sockets fully loaded at once but if u do loads some of them then ur putting alot of strain on that cable :eek: ps ive just recently passed my trade test so fellow sparks be free to correct me if Im wrong :)

Curve I think the OP did say that the supply is coming from a standard 13a plug so overloading the cable is not really an issue (unless the universal replacement fuse has been used i.e. a nail!)

The setup isn't ideal, but again not dangerous provided the cable to the shed has sufficient mechanical protection i.e. SWA (I doubt in a 13a plug), steel conduit or the like.

Thinking about it I doubt it would have sufficient mechanical protection at all. It does need completeley re-wiring as per the many many many 'power to shed/garage/outbuilding' posts already here!

Back to the question! It would be fine to add the light as a proper switch although in reality you aren't gaining anything as the setup is poor anyway and this isn't a part of your circuit that poses any issues it's more the entire circuit that poses the issues!

If you want to though, you need to use a FCU with a 5a fuse then to your pull cord switch and then the light.

E.g. Socket -------> FCU -------> Switch ------> Light

Hope this helps

ibruceuk said:
Curve I think the OP did say that the supply is coming from a standard 13a plug so overloading the cable is not really an issue (unless the universal replacement fuse has been used i.e. a nail!)

The setup isn't ideal, but again not dangerous provided the cable to the shed has sufficient mechanical protection i.e. SWA (I doubt in a 13a plug), steel conduit or the like.

Thinking about it I doubt it would have sufficient mechanical protection at all. It does need completeley re-wiring as per the many many many 'power to shed/garage/outbuilding' posts already here!

Back to the question! It would be fine to add the light as a proper switch although in reality you aren't gaining anything as the setup is poor anyway and this isn't a part of your circuit that poses any issues it's more the entire circuit that poses the issues!

If you want to though, you need to use a FCU with a 5a fuse then to your pull cord switch and then the light.

E.g. Socket -------> FCU -------> Switch ------> Light

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone, I now have a much better idea of what to do, very hepfull.

Hmmmm.....the original post says
"just the one feed wire comeing in to the shed to make the socket loop circuit"
...which tends to suggest that this is a radial not a ring (despite the confusing term loop being used).
Therefore, cable overload is an issue surely, and a fused connection unit and an RCD need to be fitted between the house socket that's supplying the shed and the first socket of the spur.

Ukants - The term loop is not confusing and does refer to a radial circuit which is what he has. (As in lighting loop or 'loop in' which is radial).
Cable overload IS NOT an issue as stated before as the whole circuit is fed from a 13a plug and so must be fuse protected to 13A!!

Beckvale said:

Beckvale

You quite clearly state that you installed the existing set up so can you clarify what you did exactly

Did you read up on this prior to the "rewire"

Without knowing exactly what you have done already, it is difficult to advise you of what you do next

swelec said:
Beckvale said:

Beckvale

You quite clearly state that you installed the existing set up so can you clarify what you did exactly

Did you read up on this prior to the "rewire"

Without knowing exactly what you have done already, it is difficult to advise you of what you do next

Hi, thanks for the email
Following the many replies, I have had a complete rethink, and started again from scratch.,
My main aim was to install power sockets to my new shed/office, I allready have a shed fairly close by which was wired by an expert, this shed has sockets wired by the ring method,and a consumer unit with 32a protection for the sockets, so I have simply enlarged this ring to my new shed/office, so all I have now is a larger ring circuit, protected by the consumer unit, in the other shed.
this seemed the easiest and safest way to extend power to my new shed/office,

I intend to have one strip light, and will just plug this in to the socket by a std 13a plug,probably not the done thing, but I believe this is a safe thing to do, this saves the complication of making a light circuit.

Thanks everyone for your help, I have learnt a lot, and I believe my sockets are now safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back