Socket from a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this should never be done in case someone plugs in something that would overload the circuit but here’s my situation.
I have two sets of led strip lights to run around the base of my bathroom which I was planning to run from the light switch. I have used these strips before and taken the plug off to do this but these sets have the transformer/plug as one unit.
Could I take a feed from the light switch to a double socket purely for these strip lights? The double socket would be completely concealed within a unit and impossible for someone to accidentally plug in something else without dismantling it. Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I know this should never be done in case someone plugs in something that would overload the circuit .
That applies to every circuit, which is why there are fuses etc.

I have two sets of led strip lights to run around the base of my bathroom which I was planning to run from the light switch. I have used these strips before and taken the plug off to do this but these sets have the transformer/plug as one unit.
Ok.

Could I take a feed from the light switch to a double socket purely for these strip lights?
That depends on whether you have a 'feed'.
That is - a line and neutral (and earth) from the supply.

Is there a neutral available at the switch? Sometimes there is; sometimes there isn't.

Neutral is not merely a term for a wire of a certain colour. It is the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.

Yes there are neutrals at the switch. Well, blue wires which I assume are neutral. It’s a double switch, light and extractor

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm, I’ve built a vanity unit from scratch which has a recess in the front of it. The back panel to this recess I’ve made removable with a few screws and there’s plenty of room in there to mount the socket for the leds. Definitely not possible to accidentally access this socket, but accessible enough for any maintenance

Bad policy to put sockets on a lighting circuit. You should really get LED strips with a power supply that is not built into a plug.

Yes one block for each pair of wires! I’d be a bit worried if they were all in the one connection! I worded it wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back