lights not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys. the mcb for the lights in my extension triped, i turned it back on and now i don't have any mains power coming to the 1and only light switch i have in the extension.i did test with a tester to confirm there was no power. all the switches in the fuse box is on and everything else is working. the electrics were installed 18 months ago and it has been working fine until now. i am hoping it is something minor?

any advice would be great.
cheers. al

Sponsored Links
There may be a short circuit at the ceiling position or wiring has got damaged somewhere. If it is an extension, the feed to it may have been connected to a nearby light fitting in the main building, so the damage may be there.

Anything like this near the light switch or in the same room, possibly at floor level behind some furniture?

CM2365.JPG

Sponsored Links
i tested the power with a fluke voltage detector pen which confirmed power to everything else but not the lights.
cheers.

guys.
just an update, i was turning the mcb on and off in frustration and the lights are now working! i am ofcourse happy about this but now wondering if the mcb is faulty?

just an update, i was turning the mcb on and off in frustration and the lights are now working! i am ofcourse happy about this but now wondering if the mcb is faulty?
It obviously doesn't answer the question as to why it tripped in the first place, but with some MCBs, you have to push the lever right down ('off') before they will reset properly when you push the lever up. Maybe that's what you did "in your frustration"?

Kind Regards, John

could be John. all i know is, it is working for now. thank you all for your advice.
al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back