lights on a ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a lighting circuit be wired in a ring type circuit? If so, is there a maximum amount off load the circuit can take? :confused:

Sponsored Links
yes you can wire lights of a ring cuircuit. however they need to be protected with a suitable fuse.

if its just a single switch i'd advise using a switched FCU with a 3A or 5A fuse, that way its obvious where the fuse is and that the lights are on the ring. A 3A fuse will allow up to 690W of lighting a 5A fuse will allow up to 1150W of lighting.

if you wan't multiple switches you will either have to use a seperate unswitched FCU or use a grid plate to put a fuse and the selection of switches you wan't together.

from the ring to the fused connection unit use 2.5mm² cable for the wiring after the FCU 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² cable is fine.

Do you mean is it ok to wire a lighting circuit as a ring, as opposed to spurring lights from a 30/32A ring? There is little/no point in wiring lighting as a ring circuit, it just wastes cable. The normal way is to run either a 5A or a 6A radial.

yes, I meant wiring a lighting circuit as a ring. I was wondering if I could have more load on a ring rather than a radial circuit.

Sponsored Links
No, you don't need to wire a lighting circuit as a ring, there is no point. A radial circuit, when designed needs to take into account loading. If there is too much load for a single radial circuit, then another circuit is required to be run in.
Domestic households have a tendancy to use 6A for all lighting circuits. Some may say it is OK to up an MCB to 10A depending on the circuit characteristics i.e. cable run+length+install method, although if there is any SBC or SES lampholders on the circuit it must remain fused at 6A.

one possible reason to wire a large lighting cuircuit as a ring would be to improve Zs and volt drop

Max measured Zs for a B6 MCB can be as high as 6.4ohms @ 10deg C (70degC cable). Volt drop can be overcome by upping the cable size, although 1.5mm² is good for a 50m run @ 6A, adequate in most households.

I would like 3x 50 watt GU10 spots on my ground floor stairs, 2x 60watt (22mmBC)and 1x60watt (SES) on the first floor landing, 6x50watt GU10 spots in the bathroom, 3x50watt GU10 spot unit in 1st bedroom, a 3x 60watt(22mm BC) chandelier in the 2nd bedroom, 3x 50 watt Gu10 to the 1st/2nd floor stairs, 1x 60watt (22mm ES) in the 2nd floor landing, 2x 60watt (SBC) to the 3rd bedroom and 2x 60watt(SBC) to the 4th bedroom. Could I fit that lot safely on a ring or would it be safer to split them onto two radial circuits?

It would be a lot less of a nuisance put on two circuits if one should trip. Please understand that even if you put a ring in for the lighting you can only fuse it to 6A anyway due to the SES and SBC lampholders. This means you will just be wasting cable (and therefore £). At 6.15A (1410w/230v) you are above the threshold for a 6A breaker, you need to split them onto two circuits anyway. If you are doing this yourself, has enyone mensioned Part P (England+Wales)?

yes I was aware of the part p, thats why I've been quizzing you guys! I was hoping I could get everything shipshape before a sparky came round to give me a safety cert. Hope you don't mind, but I'm too safety concious to cut corners and too skint to get the work done by a spark!

diydamian said:
yes I was aware of the part p, thats why I've been quizzing you guys! I was hoping I could get everything shipshape before a sparky came round to give me a safety cert.
I don't think you are sufficiently aware of what Part P requires.

DIY-ing, followed by an electrician giving you any sort of certificate (BTW, there is no such thing as a "safety certificate") does not comply with the law.

Nobody here cares if you comply or not, but don't fool yourself into thinking that your plans are legal - they aren't.

"DIY-ing, followed by an electrician giving you any sort of certificate (BTW, there is no such thing as a "safety certificate") does not comply with the law."

Since when? You can give the LABC 48 hrs notice and £117.50. They will then send their guy at first and second fix and issue a certificate if it all checks out.

bandit1200 said:
"DIY-ing, followed by an electrician giving you any sort of certificate (BTW, there is no such thing as a "safety certificate") does not comply with the law."

Since when? You can give the LABC 48 hrs notice and £117.50. They will then send their guy at first and second fix and issue a certificate if it all checks out.

The law requires a non-member of a self certification scheme to notify LABC before work starts, not to phone an electrician to come and certify someone elses work after it has already been done.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=178363#178363

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back