Lighting From Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it perfectly ok to power a lighting circuit in say a conservatory from the ring main if it is fused down by a 3A FSU? Can the cable supplying the load (Lighting Circuit) be 1.5mm even if FSU is supplied by 2.5mm?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Novice here, so forgive the potentially naive question.

Is this a good idea? I ask this since my conservatory was wired up this way when I bought the house, and on inspection found a 13amp fuse in the FCU. I've subsequently connected to the lighting cct and replace the FCU with a simple connection.
Have I wasted my effort ?

Cheers....

DavePrior said:
Is this a good idea?

There are better options but with a suitable fuse there is no problem feeding the lights from the ring circuit.

DavePrior said:
Have I wasted my effort ?

It's always better to have the lights fed from the lighting circuit, but replacing the fuse with a 3A would have been sufficient.

It is ok to go down the FCU route, and for the likes of a conservatory light often involves a lot less work to do it like ths.

Unfortunatly as you have discovered the FCU is open to misuse with an oversized fuse, but in all honesty although it is not right, and against the regs, it is not really dangerous (Unless someone starts wiring more stuff onto the undersized cable coming from the FCU)

RF - spookily that's exactly what happened. I'm assuming the original installer took the opinion that since it was fused, it was OK to lob a couple of socket outlets on the spur; oh and then to wire up the garage with a couple of outlets as well.
Have to admit I sleep better having moved it back to lighting cct and redoing the socket outlets properly, but I do take the point re fusing down.

Cheers guys...

Worthy of noting here is the fact that most FCUs come with a 13 amp fuse. If Mr bodgit doesn't have any fuses handy, he will likely carry on regardless of the fuse size. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back