Lights Too Bright

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a week ago I fitted two five foot fluorescent lights with opal diffusers in a long kitchen. They were for an old lady in the household who wanted brighter lighting as her sight was going. I have now been asked by her daughter to change them again, perhaps for shorter ones as they are giving her (the daughter) migraine headaches. I don't know if shorter ones will help as it may be the UV content of the light that affects her. I know dimmers don't work with fluorescents but wondered if painting the inside of the diffusers with something would help. There are special tubes for fishtanks but they would probably be much more expensive. I'm a bit out of my depth on this one and any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In no particular order.

1) Shorter tubes

2) Tubes with a "softer" light

3) Replace luminaires with ones with HF control gear that can be dimmed.

(3) is the best answer. Predictably it is also the most expensive.

You can spray paint flou tubes & get effects, ie darker at the ends than the middle. If it does not work, the paint can be wiped off easily with solvent. Cheap & quick to try.

Neutral Density Gel on the tubes may help? say .3 or .6

Sponsored Links
is adding a non-flourescent light as well on a seperate switch an option? This way the old lady can work with the bright flourescent light and the dugthter can have less bright non-florescent lighting.

obviously only works if they aren't spending much time in the room together but provided they don't its probablly the best soloution.

Get the daughter a pair of sunglasses.:cool: Alternatively, paint the cieling with a less brilliant colour (such as magnolia or black).

sounds like the daughter wants to get out of the cooking !!
think our lights in the bedroom might be flourescents, my wifes always got a headache........................

Well, think yourself lucky, pal! My wife always complains of headaches even when she's been nowhere near a flu!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back