lights won't work after replacing fuse wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter went to switch the living room light on tonight, there was a flash and a bang and the fuse wire was blown. We have replaced the fuse wire but the lights still won't work, does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?
Many thanks
isuman

Sponsored Links
What was it that went with a bang?

This is not a normal thing to happen, and would point towards a more serious underlying problem.

Just something to check - make sure you didn't snap the fuse wire when you tightened the last screw in the fuse holder !

Get your wiring checked - fusewire indicates an aged installation which could have serious issues - likely its been untouched for 40-50 years.

Sponsored Links
If the flash and the bang came from the switch, then it could be b*gg*r*d.

Do none of the lights work?

The bang seemed to come from the bulb. It happened last time one of the bulbs blew and was ok once we put new fuse wire in. I have checked that the wire hasn't broken since replacing it and it's fine. The same thing happened when a bulb blew in the kitchen a few weeks ago but everything worked ok after replacing the fuse wire. I don't know if it makes any difference but the socket in the fuse box where the fuse goes is blackened. The house is 34 years old and so is the wiring if this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back