LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE 3 CABLES COMING FROM MY CEILING 3 RED 3 BLACK & 3 GREEN I WANT TO CONNECT TO NEW LIGHT I didnt MARK UP WHEN DISCONNECTED IS THERE ANY EASY WAY OF FINDING OUT WHICH WIRES GO TOGETHER OR DO I KEEP TRYING BY MIXING AROUND AND DIFFERENT LIGHTS COMING ON OR NOT

Sponsored Links
do thast and when it goes bang you know its wrong.

get a meter asnd find out what does what.

and please
caplock.jpg

turn it off

Turn you power supply off to the lights and take off the light switch there will be a black and red cable, place the black cable into a connector block with the earth(green/yellow) cable, using a multi meter test at the fitting between all black cables and earth(green/yellow), till you find continuity between this cable is most likely to be your switched live mark it with red or brown tape. and connect it into live on its own

Sponsored Links
Electroserve said:
Turn you power supply off to the lights and take off the light switch there will be a black and red cable, place the red cable into a connector block with the earth(green/yellow) cable, using a multi meter test at the fitting between all black cables and earth(green/yellow), till you find continuity between this cable is most likely to be your switched live mark it with red or brown tape. and connect it into live on its own

Or check continuity between each set of red and black whist turning the switch on and off.
Much easier than disconnecting anything :)

Also, you mention connecting the red and earth together but checking continuity between blacks and earth. Typo?

GaryMo said:
Electroserve said:
Turn you power supply off to the lights and take off the light switch there will be a black and red cable, place the red cable into a connector block with the earth(green/yellow) cable, using a multi meter test at the fitting between all black cables and earth(green/yellow), till you find continuity between this cable is most likely to be your switched live mark it with red or brown tape. and connect it into live on its own

Or check continuity between each set of red and black whist turning the switch on and off.

Also, you mention connecting the red and earth together but checking continuity between blacks and earth. Typo?

Cheers for pointing that one out :)

Electroserve said:
GaryMo said:
Electroserve said:

Cheers for pointing that one out :)
Would you find continuity between neutral and CPC from the CU (depending on the earthing arrangements) as well?

TicklyT said:
Would you find continuity between neutral and CPC from the CU (depending on the earthing arrangements) as well?

Yes (TNC-S (PME)), on the loop in neutral and earth. That will eliminate one t&e, still two more to go (loop out and switch wire).
We're talking about switch feed (red) and switch wire (black).
As I said, best way is to check for continuity between each set of red and black whilst operating the switch. That way you'll determine which black is the switch wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back