Lightwave slave cabling query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install a Lightwave master/slave combination for my stairway lighting.

The master, downstairs, is a three gang Lightwave switch. The existing wiring to the gang that drives the stairway lighting consisting of...

- Brown
- Blue
- Earth
(The above are all in one core)
- Blue (no other wires in this core)

Putting a multimeter across all the above yields zero volts (the upstairs, slave, switch has been disconnected).

Upstairs, the existing wiring consists of a two core cable and a three core cable...

- Black (was previously connected to L1)
- Red (previously connected to L2)
- Earth (unused)

- Blue (previously connected to L1)
- Red (previously connected to COM)
- Yellow (previously connected to L2)
- Earth (unused)

The cable inputs to these Lightwave things are relatively tiny compared to "standard" wall switches, so I'm concerned about being able to connect multiple cables into one input - just how should I go about this?

And how can I identify the continuity between the blue/red/yellow three core cable upstairs and the two core + this random blue wire downstairs?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
(The above are all in one core)
- Blue (no other wires in this core)
Just for information: you mean cable (or sheath); not core. The copper wire is the core.

And how can I identify the continuity between the blue/red/yellow three core cable upstairs and the two core + this random blue wire downstairs?
Connect the brown and blue in the same cable together, then determine which of the red, blue and yellow have continuity between them.
Then connect the brown to the other blue and determine which of the red, blue and yellow have continuity now.
This way you can determine which wire upstairs is connected to which wire downstairs.
In both steps, make sure that none of the other wires has continuity with them.
Also make sure that there is 240V between ONLY the red and a known earth. This should be line(live) wire; the black should be the switched live.

Were all of the wires connected to the switches before? That is - none spare.
This - brown, blue, blue - is an odd colour combination and arrangement. Obviously there is a junction box somewhere so make sure you are certain before connecting anything and switching on.

If you can't get two wires in a terminal, you will have to put them in a connector block with another piece of wire to the terminal.

Why did you not note which terminals the brown, blue and blue were connected to like you did upstairs?

Just for information: you mean cable (or sheath); not core. The copper wire is the core.

Thanks. Reading it back now I agree the way I worded it is nonsense.
Why did you not note which terminals the brown, blue and blue were connected to like you did upstairs?

Actually, I did! In attempting the above brain dump I omitted to mention it. Here it is...

COM - Brown
L1 - Blue (same core as above)

L2 - Blue (separate, single, cable)

So it looks like I have (upstairs -> downstairs)...

Live -> Red (two core) -> L2 (upstairs) -> Yellow (three core) -> L2 (downstairs)

Switched Live -> Black (two core) -> L1 (upstairs) -> Blue (three core) -> L1 (downstairs)

COM (upstairs) -> Red (three core) -> Brown (two core) -> COM

...and I should consider the Red/three core (upstairs) and Brown/two core (downstairs) as the signal cable for the Lightwave's low voltage signalling?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back