Like for like under PD in conservation area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The pic below is of a house which is in a conservation area but the PD rights have NOT been withdrawn. The question all pertains to the ground floor front elevation

At some point the original front was removed and a horrible shop front inserted. Then at some point the shop door was removed and covered by that white ply you can seen on the outside and plasterboard on the inside.

The owner would like to make the front look better and has two options

1) To apply for planning permission to put it back to the exact original. This would be expensive as once planning/conservation are involved they will probably be very picky about it being 'perfect'. This would involve some expensive masonry work and bespoke timber sash windows.

(the masonry work is just visible on the houses on the right hand side of the pic)

2) Under PD he has been told he can change 'like for like'. This would be the easiest but then there is the worry it will just look the same!

So the question is under 'like for like' could he for example change the UPVC windows for UPVC sash windows?

What could be done to the white wooden ply to improve the look but still stay within PD?

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is speak to the local conservation officer.

When I lived in a conservative area in a London borough I wanted to replace the nasty replacement windows that had been fitted with new double glazed timber sash ones. I wrote the conservation officer a letter clearly explaining what I wanted to do, why and enclosed photos of the current nasty windows, the replacements I was proposing, and showing next door's originals. (Did it by letter so I'd have the response in writing.)

He had no problem with me doing the work.

This might be different though, as it's likely to be more involved.

Sponsored Links
No takers for this one then? :)

Ok, let me try again :mrgreen:

If I took out those two horrid downstairs windows and replaced them with two UPVC sash windows side by side, would that be ok?

They would be the same size, colour and material but sash rather than what they are now. Would this be considered like for like?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated

Option 2: Do it by the book:
"The materials used in any exterior work shall be of similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse"
Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back