Line Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to source a product for joining up scrap lengths of 10mm2 conductor.
Like the look of Hellerman Tyton Sigma range of linetaps but cant find dimensional drawings for them.

the catalogue page describes the S10 product as "10mm2 cross section cable"
the catalogue also says that "all sizes can be joined together"....

Does this mean that 2 lengths of 10mm2 conductor will comfortably fit into an S10 tap?
or
should I be joining 2 x S10 taps together and clamping one conductor in each (for a join)

help appreciated

Sponsored Links
the catalogue page describes the S10 product as "10mm2 cross section cable"
I presume the connection is the width of 10mm² cable.

the catalogue also says that "all sizes can be joined together"....
Just for convenience or neatness; not electrically.

Does this mean that 2 lengths of 10mm2 conductor will comfortably fit into an S10 tap?
Yes.

or should I be joining 2 x S10 taps together and clamping one conductor in each (for a join)
No.

The point of a "line" tap - what the "line" refers to - is that they are used for joining an additional conductor to an unbroken first conductor.

That is, you tap into the line.

they are used for joining an additional conductor to an unbroken first conductor.
Yes, understood. in this case, as you have divined, I am trying to join many cut ends of 10mm together.... can you reccommend a more suitable product for what I am trying to do?

Sponsored Links
Yes, understood. in this case, as you have divined, I am trying to join many cut ends of 10mm together.... can you reccommend a more suitable product for what I am trying to do?
I think you really need to answer the question "Why?" that you have been asked - in particular to indicate to what use the 'joined together' cable will be put and where the cable (and all the joints) will be located.

There are all sorts of ways of joining lengths of cable together - crimping, soldering, terminal blocks, junction boxes etc. - but which, if any, of these methods would be appropriate for you really does depend on what you are wanting to do.

Kind Regards, John

Here's a diagram of how to do it
upload_2017-9-6_12-30-3.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back