Linkable cabinet lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The three under-cabinet lights in the kitchen of my daughter's 2001-built flat are not working. They are each about 35cm x 6.5cm and have a single small clear bulb behind round frosted glass. On the back is a label which says IP20 Linkable Cabinet Light 1x20watt. It looks like the sort hanging up in Homebase. Each is fed from a female lead which in each case comes from a small round junction box next to each light. Wiring from junction boxes goes behind wall tiles. Each unit has integral switch as well.

I've identified the wall switch (one of a four-gang) which controls the lights and the red and black connections there appear secure. By poking a circuit tester into the feed leads of each light, there is a current showing on one side (normal I expect). She has replaced bulbs. The last of the light units furthest from wall switch seems to have a very slight scorching from the gubbins inside. I can't get light from any of them in any permutation.

Any ideas? All help appreciated as always. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the sort hanging up in Homebase.
They'd be 250 watt mercury lamps then. :LOL: I very much doubt this! :LOL:

hi-bay_ip65_new.jpg

1. Have the bulbs blown?
2. Has the fuse blown?
You dont mention either of the above.

Sponsored Links
:D That is really funny! I meant hanging up on the Homebase racks, not their ceiling. She doesn't live in an aircraft hangar.

She took over the flat from a previous occupier and she can't actually recall ever seeing them on. She replaced bulbs and one I saw had failed.

Re fuse, her consumer unit behind front door just seems to be a trip switch array, one of which covers lighting. Is there a fuse? Where would I find it? And would any current be detectable at all (as I found) if fuse had blown? I'm confused.

Thanks for the funny. I enjoyed that... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back