Lintel Advice - Steel/Concrete/Catnic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I would like to open up an existing doorway into my extension, currently there is a 1350mm opening which i would like to extend to 2000mm. Lintel would be 2400mm in length.

There is a lintel of some description already in there but it is crumbling away and would like to replace BUT have no idea what to get

I have been on the catnic website and that is suggesting a CN81C which seems to have a SWL of 54kN but not sure if that is enough.

Its on the ground floor and will be holding up the external wall above. No cavity, 215mm thick wall 2 bricks thick. If i knew what the loading was this would be easier but i don't. Is there an easy way to work this out?

Is there a belt and braces solution ie a steel which would cover much more weight or should i just get the catnic?

Sponsored Links
Just get the catnic. It will hold up any wall above it in a normal domestic situation.

A 203 x 203 x 46 steel beam would do the job and might be cheaper than a Catnic, though heavier to lift.

Sponsored Links
No, just quicker to install; a Catnic solid wall lintel is more appropriate for an external wall rather than what will become an internal wall.
Or how about two 152 x 89s, one for each half of the wall thickness?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back