Lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to widen an internal doorway. 1/2 brick wall, taking rafters 4x2, 14" spacing, 18 degree pitch approx, double roman clay tiles. This wall is approx halfway along the slope of the rafters, 13ft total span.
Door way to go to 1.6m, and raise to directly under lintel which I hope to place directly below the rafters for maximum opening height. There will still be approx 2ft wall either side so plenty of room for bearings.
The current door has 4 courses of brick above it and a 2x4 timber for a lintel.

Is this scenario something that a standard off the shelf catnic box lintel etc. is able to cope with or am I looking at something even more heavy duty?

I have read that BCO would not expect calcs in 'standard' situations, but have no idea what would constitue a standard situation. I dont want to be throwing a couple of hundred at a SE just to find it was not necessary...

Sponsored Links
Is that 'Yes its pretty standard', 'Yes BCO wont be interested in calcs' (still waiting to hear back) or 'Yes I need something more heavy duty'?

I can't imaging there being any problems regards using standard duty for an opening only as wide as 1600mm.

There would need to be a steel beam or summat bearing above to warrant H/D spec'.

Sponsored Links
Is that 'Yes its pretty standard', 'Yes BCO wont be interested in calcs' (still waiting to hear back) or 'Yes I need something more heavy duty'?
Yes pretty standard.. unless as noseall says there is something heavy above like a girder truss etc.. BC normally happy with confirmation from catnic on size requirement, normally.

the rule of thumb is 1inch of steel for every 12 inches in lenth of wall to be removed and suported of the 4 inch wall if it was nine inches thick it would be 3 feet opening would be 4x4 with six inch on each side sitting on concret pads all with in building regs

the rule of thumb is 1inch of steel for every 12 inches in lenth of wall to be removed and suported of the 4 inch wall if it was nine inches thick it would be 3 feet opening would be 4x4 with six inch on each side sitting on concret pads all with in building regs
I thought the idea of a rule of thumb was it's supposed to be simple.

I thought the idea of a rule of thumb was it's supposed to be simple.

:LOL:

I want to widen an internal doorway. 1/2 brick wall, taking rafters 4x2, 14" spacing, 18 degree pitch approx, double roman clay tiles.
Marley Double Romans (smooth not granular) will only go down to 22.5 degrees with 100mm headlap.

Not heard of double roman clays though.

Marley Double Romans (smooth not granular) will only go down to 22.5 degrees with 100mm headlap.

Not heard of double roman clays though.

Redland through colour will go down to 17.5 degree with 100mm headlap, still concrete though

I'm no expert thought thats what someone said they were.

Well whatever they are have been on there since 1901 and the roof does not leak like a sieve.

pic%20183.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back