Lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We live in a semi detached house which we have just added a 2 story extension to the side of the house. I am presuming what origionally was the exterior side wall is now an internal wall as we now have a garage attached to the other side of it. I want to make a new opening for a doorway thru this wall in order to have a wc and shower in the back end of the garage thus creating a small room.

The house, 1930's, is built in bricks 8-9 inch thick so Which lintel would we use?

I will be using Building control and am about to fill in the forms and am unsure whether I need to get a structual engineer to calculate the lintel before I send off this building control form
Thanks

Sponsored Links
P.c.c. builders lintels (70mm x 100mm) are man enough for most domestic single door opening scenarios.

Sponsored Links
I thought that in load bearing walls we had to use rsj's.
if its a conrete lintel then surely I wont need to seek a structual engineer's drawing before I submit my building application notice

It's all about span and loads.

Using a pcc lintel does not automatically exonerate you from obeying standard building practices. End bearing details are still enforceable but common sense approach is usually the norm for a door opening where b.c. are concerned.

If there were a steel rsj directly above for example, i.e. point loading, then there would be a need for something more robust.

The new opening will be close to a pad stone supporting a rsj in our kitchen wall. Probably be about an inch between padstones although the new padstone will be lower than the padstone holding the rsj.
i have added a picture in my album and tried to post it here.
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back