Lintel Recommendation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to do some work this year in July on my parents’ house which they bought 10 years ago, nothing considerable has been done on the house as they are can't afford the majority of the project that are present to them.

I am taking on the project to help them out and to make a change, right now I am in the process of ordering the stone window surrounding set so it's ready for next week. I've talked thing out with my parent and we are looking to integrate the security roller shutter in the tight space behind the stone head of the window set so that box doesn't appear ugly. we are also planning to put a tilt & turn aluminium window in the two opening and put in a lintel above the 180 x 180mm shutter box. I was thinking of replacing the timber lintel to a steel beam with 200mm end bearing on each side.

I will probably need to buy some arcow prop and some strong boy for this kind of job but don't know how many for a 600mm opening in a stone wall. probably 2, to support the timber floor joists inside and 4 for the window opening. Please let me know if am wrong.

At the moment I need some advice on what lintel to purchase on your but need reassurance on the right lintel for the job.

I will leave the detail below for your advice

Span of opening: 600mm

Wall construction: Stone Wall (solid wall) no cavity

Masonry height: 2m above, has roof load and floor joist bearing (2 storey)

I will leave photos of the natural window surrounding set plan and a few photos of the 2-storey house.

If you have any advice, I will be happy to listen

20190506_125048.jpg SmartSelect_20190707-024628_Keep Notes.jpg plan.jpg

Attachments

• stone set.jpg
    stone set.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
With that stone surround, isn't the top stone the lintel? For the inside, a 900mm 65mm lintel will do.

With stonework, acro props don't perform the same as with brickwork as there is no bond and stone does not self- support. 600mm is not a massive span, one prop will do, but probably no need for one but allow for removing the small section of stone above the opening as it may loosen and drop regardless. One prop and a 1.5m thick board will do for the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back