Lintel size and position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm installing windows into a wall, and want to know the size and position of a Lintel, for a 1.2Mtr wide window.

Looking at the photo showing a blue lintel. I understand that the window has to be 600mm from the corner, but can the lintel encroach into the 600mm, as shown?
Camerart
Windows proposed.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your opening does not need to be 600 from a corner unless you have calculations or special reasons requiring it to be.
That dimension does not include the lintel bearing.

Your opening does not need to be 600 from a corner unless you have calculations or special reasons requiring it to be.
That dimension does not include the lintel bearing.
Hi W,
I've just found my previous question, where this was answered (I couldn't find it before)
This has been confirmed by the Building control inspector.
Can you clarify, can the lintel encroach into the 665mm from the corner?
C

The approved document guidance relates to the opening, not the bearing.

And it is guidance, not a requirement.
If you require the opening to be nearer a corner and the inspector wants confirmation, then a structural engineer can do the necessary calculations for that type of lean-to and it will be OK.

Sponsored Links
The approved document guidance relates to the opening, not the bearing.

And it is guidance, not a requirement.
If you require the opening to be nearer a corner and the inspector wants confirmation, then a structural engineer can do the necessary calculations for that type of lean-to and it will be OK.
Hi W,
As it's an old toilet, with single 9inch wall I'll go along with the 665mm from the corner, and keep it simple.
So from what you say, it appears that the bearing can go to where I show it on the drawing
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back