lintle for a single brick internal load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
I have a house which has had a double door openening placed next to a single door opening, all within a load bearing wall. There are no lintles, the only thing that seems to be holding the first floor up appears to be the door frames.

The opening would be 2600 in all so i think im looking at a 2900 minimum lintle.

The wall is one brick thick.

can you get a lintle this long for one brick.

any advice appeciated.

Sponsored Links
The wall is one brick thick.

can you get a lintle this long for one brick.

Hi steve, by one brick thick, do you actually mean ½ a brick (i.e. 100mm), or 1 brick (which is commonly known as a 9" wall - i.e. 2 skins of brickwork)? 2700mm span with 150mm end bearings is no problem but will need you to clarify the wall thickness.

sorry for the confusion. the wall is half a brick thick.

i have exellent photo's, just cant get them on the site.

with render/ plaster about 6 inches, however, i accept that the render is not loadbearing!

You can get a 100mm*145mm*3000mm concrete lintel off the shelf at most builder's yards (~£30) but will it depends what it's supporting above whether or not it will be suitable.

Catnic do a standard steel "box lintel" CN6XB for standard duty loadings (29 kN) at the spans you require:-

CN6XB_image1.jpg

http://www.catnic.com/lintels/CN6XB.aspx

Other than that you're into SE spec'd UBs, which if you provide more details of what the loads are above the opening, the fellas on here will elaborate on.

hth

Sponsored Links
cheers hotrod.

I tried Catnic technical during the week but they wern't in due to the snow.

the house is a semi with a 12m frontage to the building. my house is half that frontage ie 6m frontage and 6 m deep.

the wall carries the weight of the floor above which hold the three bedrooms. the staircase and bath room are not directly linked to the area.

the upstairs walls are cinderblock.

The roof is Penryn slate with purlins. there are no braces tranfering the load from the roof.

what do you think of useing a cement lintle cut to the desired size for the padstones?

the wall carries the weight of the floor above which hold the three bedrooms. the staircase and bath room are not directly linked to the area.

the upstairs walls are cinderblock.

The roof is Penryn slate with purlins.

I'll hazard a guess you must be in east lancs then? ;)

Is there a wall directly above the opening? I know you mention cinder block but is there a cinderblock wall on top of the floor joists above the opening? I.e. is this lintel going to have joists resting on it and then a wall directly on top?

If it's just joists spanning the opening, the current mid-span support (or lack of) may not be required, dependant on the span and section (width and depth) of the joists. Or is it that the support is providing end-bearing for 2 separate sets of joists?

now i'm impressed.

the house is in St Helens.

ill open more floorboards to check if its continuous joists or not. I presume they wont be, why use 6m lengths when 3m would do during the construction.

sorry just posted phptos from photo bucket but they automaticlly logged on to my wifes facebook.

hi
in reply to the questions raised by hotrod;-

There is a wall directly over the opening, however i was planning on keeping three or four fows of brick above the lintle and below the joists.
I am not sure why i thought of doing this, and i am willing to change it

any advice gratefully recieved.

It's fine if you want to leave a few courses of brick on top of the lintel and under the joists - there's no problem doing that. Photos would be really helpful if you can get them up, as would the info on the joist length, depth and width.

I'm assuming from what you've posted that there is no internal masonry on top of the joists/floorboards on the first floor? FYI I'm not keen on concrete lintels on spans >2m, I would be veering towards a Catnic or steel.

sorry for the confusion, the concreate lintels were going to be used as padstones.

In regard to the photos when i put them in my DIY not album they are just black images. I put them in photo bucket and posted the link, but when i clicked on the link photobucket has a link to wifes facebook account and is logged in as her!!!!

I could just email them to you i suppose.

or post them.

carve an image on an old roofing slate and have it courrierd to you.

I could send a herald to narate the epic preportions of the wall!

:LOL:

You can use a concrete lintel cut to size as a padstone steve, or in some cases a couple of engineering bricks will do dependant on the loading on the lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back