Linux friendly broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a BT land line and use with a dial-up modem.
Any recommendations for Linux-friendly broadband suppliers?

BT offer a package with a fancy wireless home hub, which I would probably never use and which may or may not work with Linux :(

Another question: what happens to my current line rental + telephone calls quarterly bill? Is broadband on top of this?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Broadband is broadband and is not operating system reliant.
In otherwords Windows and Linux will all work on the same ISP.
Check out some inforamtion about Broadband and ISPs here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/index.htm

And, yes you pay extra for broadband on top of your line rental and calls.
There are bundles which include all three into one package but study Kitz's site first. Might be worth checking out the forums too, for some expert advice.

dave

Thanks.
I was thinking about the modems and/or routers that the comapnies supply. Some may not work with Linux, maybe?

Mike

The only way I could see a particular router not being compatible would be if you had no other way to connect it other than USB because it might need drivers.

But I'm assuming your PC or laptop has either WiFi or an ethernet port (and they work!), in which case your operating system then becomes irrelevant.

If you have WiFi, a BT home hub wouldn't be a bad choice. Or Sky broadband if you have Sky TV. I've not had any experience with any other ISP's so can't really comment other than those two.

Whoever you go with, it will seem like a whole new world going from dial-up to broadband!!

Sponsored Links
Correct, Broadband or ADSL routers are not OS specific.

We use Netgear DG835 routers with our installations. We connect them to Linux bases systems via Ethernet and they work fine. Unless you’re using DHCP, you will have to set a gateway in Linux to point to the ADSL router. From a root logon, open YAST > Network Devices > Network Card > Alt N > Alt I > Alt O. enter the ip address, save and quit.

Back