Liquid rubber (or EPDM) onto existing polycarbonate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

We recently purchased a bit of a "do-er-upper". There is an existing extension that consists of 3 x two-brick walls with patio doors and a couple of small single windows. On top of this four wooden beams, spaced 1.5m apart run at a slight slope from the old part of the house down to the "front" of the extension. These have two wall polycarbonate sheeting on top of them forming a bit of a sun roof.

While currently perfectly usable I am keen to do something with the roof section as it is a bit of a ticking bomb waiting for the right storm to go off. Additionally the room is a thermal nightmare, the walls and floor I will fix with internal insulation board.

My original thought was to replace the polycarb with ply/sterling and cover with EPDM or for ease of installation a paint on such as isoflex professional then plaster boarding under the beams, packing in roofing insulation between the internal and external boards.

I then wondered, for sake of not having the roof off if it would be wiser just to use the existing polycarb roof and EPDM onto that? This is already in place and currently just about watertight. A thrid alternative would be to ply/sterling board ontop of the polycarb so save having the existing roof off.

Current options:

a) liquid rubber the existing polycarb roof sheets
b) remove polycarb sheets and lay ply/sterling + liquid rubber.
c) overboard the polybarb with ply/sterling and liquid rubber.
d) something else entirely.

note: in all cases there will be a 4-8 inch space between the external and internal boarding that will be packed with insulation.

I might be miles off the mark, this level of DIY is new to me so forgive my noobism.

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't lay EPDM over the poly, I'd remove the roof and lay new boards on existing joists and then rubber or felt onto it.

Your rafters will have to be lot closer together than 1.5 meters apart to install any type of flat roof onto. They should be at 400mm centres but you will get away with 600mm if you want to save a little money and time. You cannot install new boards on current polycarbonate boards it will be A total bodge job and will be dangerous. Good luck and keep us informed on what you decide to do. Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you plan on staying there then start whole thing again. Rip it all out install new rafters at 400mm centres. Install new 18mm osb (Stirling boards) and then fibreglass the roof. There are plenty of good tutorials on YouTube showing you how to fibreglass. If you do it this way you will never have to worry about this roof again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back