List of Tory and DUP MPs who voted against a fair pay rise for the NHS

While we're on the subject of cheering for blocking a nurse's pay rise, it's comforting to know that MPs have voted themselves a £10,000 bonus to compensate for the extra effort of working at home.

Sponsored Links
It's so sweet to see the Tory apologists whinging that it all happened a while ago.

We are still suffering the ill-effects.

I didn’t see any whinging in my post, it was a statement of fact. The article is from 3 years ago you clutz!!

Sponsored Links
While we're on the subject of cheering for blocking a nurse's pay rise, it's comforting to know that MPs have voted themselves a £10,000 bonus to compensate for the extra effort of working at home.

As in much of the public sector, pay is graded and each grade can have up to 10 spinal points, each year salary will be automatically increased by one (or more) spinal points, there are other mechanisms where one off 'gratuities' can be awarded. So, a pay freeze in the public sector, is not actually a pay freeze. Pay rises are awarded on top of the automatic increases.
I only know this this because my wife spent many years working for the Council.

They aren't paid that much in the grand scheme of things. If you don't have enough money coming in to support yourself and your family then you'll look to other methods to boost your pay. Like the expenses scandals. Or you'll just get rich people who can afford to not get paid. Which locks out a large chunk of the population out of politics.

I think there was an independent review a few years back that said they should be paid more, around £10k more, but it kept getting put off as it's bad PR.

As in much of the public sector, pay is graded and each grade can have up to 10 spinal points, each year salary will be automatically increased by one (or more) spinal points, there are other mechanisms where one off 'gratuities' can be awarded. So, a pay freeze in the public sector, is not actually a pay freeze. Pay rises are awarded on top of the automatic increases.
I only know this this because my wife spent many years working for the Council.
You're out of date on the NHS, there is no automatic yearly increment anymore and they dramatically reduced the number of increments within a band. Finally around 86% of NHS staff are at, or will shortly be at the top of their bands. So no further increments at all. They'd have to go up a band which normally requires a promotion to a more responsible role.

There will be a princely 1.67% increase for people at the top of their bands this year though, so champagne and truffles all round.

The NHS pay scheme a few years back was a masterpiece of advertising. It made it look generous whilst actually giving very little when you read the fine print.

There will be a princely 1.67% increase for people at the top of their bands this year though, so champagne and truffles all round.

Yes, but that's 1.67% many in the private sector wont receive or will have received in the last ten years, which puts them 16.7% ahead if you don't take into account many in the private sector have taken a pay decrease in the last 10 years. I'd say they're 25% ahead of the private sector over 10 years.
I was surprised when my wife took her first public sector job, late 90's millennium time, I told her she was losing 3-4 grand a year, ten years later I was eating my words, and she's got a decent pension on top, the pension seems to be oblivious to the stock market.
Indeed, champagne and truffles.

Yes, but that's 1.67% many in the private sector wont receive or will have received in the last ten years, which puts them 16.7% ahead if you don't take into account many in the private sector have taken a pay decrease in the last 10 years. I'd say they're 25% ahead of the private sector over 10 years.
I was surprised when my wife took her first public sector job, late 90's millennium time, I told her she was losing 3-4 grand a year, ten years later I was eating my words, and she's got a decent pension on top, the pension seems to be oblivious to the stock market.
Indeed, champagne and truffles.
Now you're just making numbers up. You're wrong, again, though. Public sector pay is slightly behind private sector pay over the last 10 years.

The pay scale needs to be related to this
https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

It might surprise you but for starting salaries with qualifications it very probably isn't too bad. While people might see average UK salary at £35k in real terms pay scales are lop sided. There are some that get lots and many that get little. Then from here it works out at £30k
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2019

the private sector have taken a pay decrease in the last 10 years

Actually it's more like 20 years for many and more for some. This may be why the public sector has been frozen but when there is a shortage of people in some field in the private sector that generally results in an increase in salary to get more people. This especially relates to fields that require qualifications and also cured by asking universities etc to turn out more. That then usually results in salary depression and some finding it rather hard to get their 1st job.

If criticism is point scroring then why are NHS staff being stopped from speaking out and are being gagged?

I think once this is all over we will all re-evaluate what's important..

I would like to see the government set up a really useful tax. Those like nurses cleaners plumbers, delivery drivers and bin men to name but a few will be taxed at a lower really useful tax.

Those like footballers/sport stars. Actors non essential TV personalitys fashion designers luxury goods to name but a few will be taxed at a higher absolutely useless overpaid fncker tax rate.... If Labour go down this route I will vote for them again.

Sponsored Links
Back