Little bit off topic - electric gates.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone might have some ideas.

I live next to a cemetery that is plagued with unwanted school parking meaning cemetery users cannot get access at certain times. The cemetery manager wanted to but is not allowed to put electric gates on as the existing are original and have a conservation order on them so the appearance cannot change.

Has anyone come across a device like rising posts that will not affect the appearance but could be timed to stop the gates being opened when raised but could be retracted on a timer.

Had a quick google and will look again later but someone sharing first hand experience is an advantage.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that gate equipment manufacturers would be the best people to ask.

But if they had electric gates, how would they be controlled to allow the right people in and keep the wrong ones out?

I would have thought that gate equipment manufacturers would be the best people to ask.

But if they had electric gates, how would they be controlled to allow the right people in and keep the wrong ones out?

Tes, and will but I like to hear first hand experiences if I can get them.

The gates would not be electric but the mechanism that allows them to open would be. A timer would do it and the Manager considered an intercom system to their other office.

Sponsored Links
I wanted to allow my mother to talk to people at the door without having to leave her chair. I used these cordless door bell system when it arrived it had the option of adding automatic door release which we have not used.

It seemed there are a 101 combinations for all sorts of situations including simple magnets. Although with a lot of effort one can defeat the magnets it is not easy. 600 lbs is a lot of force as to if it fits the bill I don't know but if anything like our local schools then drivers tend to be weak women so likely it would work.

However how you would allow authorised entry is another problem. I local farmer to me had a problem with people using his access point and he parked his tractor and trailer across the entrance and delayed the people leaving never stopped the just delay and it worked better than stopping them getting in.

A bolt that goes into a hole in the road can be fitted to the swing end of the gate. The bolt can be raised and lowered electrically to un-lock and lock the gate.

Blocking people in, done it many times. Doesn't sure ignorance but I felt better each time. :LOL:
Letting tyres down is another good one. :evil:

Or you can get sneaky self-adhesive notices which you stick on the windscreen with a polite request not to park there again. Sneaky? They are composed of hundreds of little individual pieces with a carrier film and backing. Remove the backing, slap onto the screen, remove the carrier film, and the driver doesn't have 1 label to remove, he has hundreds.

Or you can write the request on the screen using lipstick, which is a real b***er to remove from glass.

Or you can get sneaky self-adhesive notices which you stick on the windscreen with a polite request not to park there again. Sneaky? They are composed of hundreds of little individual pieces with a carrier film and backing. Remove the backing, slap onto the screen, remove the carrier film, and the driver doesn't have 1 label to remove, he has hundreds.

Or you can write the request on the screen using lipstick, which is a real b***er to remove from glass.

That would be criminal damage. Even tucking a note under a wiper blade is damage as it requires action to remove it.

If the parking is on the road blocking the cemetery then the council should be asked to double-yellow the road. If it's parking in the cemetery that's the problem then lock the gates shut with a chain at appropriate times, or use a parking control company and issue some tickets.

http://www.ukparkingcontrol.com/Self-Ticketing-Service
other providers are available.

That would be criminal damage. Even tucking a note under a wiper blade is damage as it requires action to remove it.
Bring the prosecution on, I say.

See if you can find anybody prepared to spend public money claiming it is in the public interest to prosecute someone for putting a miscreant parker to inconvenience but not doing anything which any reasonable person would call "damage".

Not a chance in hell.

BTW - do you have any links to statute or case law which support your assertion that tucking a note under a wiper qualifies as criminal damage?

BTW - do you have any links to statute or case law which support your assertion that tucking a note under a wiper qualifies as criminal damage?

sect 87/88 Environmental Protection Act 1990

“(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place to which this section applies and leaves it.

Criminal Damage Act 1971

1 Destroying or damaging property.
(1)A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

Damage being defined as - Harm or injury to property or a person, resulting in loss of value or the impairment of usefulness

If the driver has to remove the leaflet before driving, because the windscreen is obscured, there is impairment of usefulness.

sect 87/88 Environmental Protection Act 1990

“(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place to which this section applies and leaves it.
A note under a windscreen is not litter

If the driver has to remove the leaflet before driving, because the windscreen is obscured, there is impairment of usefulness.
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back