Live twin and earth in strange location? - 2005 house build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hoping for some insight onto why this particular cable run might be as it is in our house. It's a 2005 build and pretty poor quality mostly.

I'm removing some plasterboard and when I knocked an inspection hole through I found a live twin and earth behind, tacked onto the blockwork running vertically, it disappears into the ceiling and under the floor. Pic below.

There is nothing electrical either on the vertical or horizontal planes of that wall. The nearest electrical fittings would be 3 spotlights and an extractor fan, a ways away. The fused switches and shaver socket are in the opposite corner.

None of this has been disturbed since the house was built, so I know it was installed by the original builders.

Is it compliant with building regs in this form? I think it will serve the spots and extractor, but the routing seems bizarre considering where the switch is.

Has anyone seent his before and should I perhaps look out for anything else as a result, perhaps?

Many thanks.

IMG-20200419-WA0001edit.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is there any sort of loft you can get into? Are there lights or power up there, or possibly an aerial distribution amp?

There is a light in the loft but I installed the lighting circuit myself so I know its not related. Then theres the downlights and extractor as mentioned. I'll check into anything to do with the aerial, hadn't thought of that. There is one up there, but we don't use it so unsure if its boosted.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, compliant if the blockwork is >50mm from the finished surface of the plasterboard.

Its probably the lighting main for the upstairs lights, switch the MCB off and see if it is still live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back